what will disslove / loosen bathroom sealant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

i have (my parents') pvc back door with the cat flap attached to it with what looks like normal white bathrooom sealant.

the cat flap is broken and needs replacing, but despite the screws being removed it will not budge because of this sealant.

the flap is c10yrs old and the plastic is now very brittle and weaker than the bond with the door itself, so plastic is shattering etc and making it extremely difficult to remove.

is there something that will dissolve this type of sealant, hopefully without damaging the door?

thank you,

Nicholas

Sponsored Links
hello,

i have (my parents') pvc back door with the cat flap attached to it with what looks like normal white bathrooom sealant.

the cat flap is broken and needs replacing, but despite the screws being removed it will not budge because of this sealant.

the flap is c10yrs old and the plastic is now very brittle and weaker than the bond with the door itself, so plastic is shattering etc and making it extremely difficult to remove.

is there something that will dissolve this type of sealant, hopefully without damaging the door?

thank you,

Nicholas

See THIS Thread

thank you John for the heads up

whilst it seems not everyone is a fan of "silicone eater" it is my only option, since brute force will no doubt damage the door

cheers,

Nick

Sponsored Links
A carefully used razor blade cuts silicone well.

i cannot get at it with a blade - the idiot that installed the cat flap used the sealant between where the flap surround touches the door, which is a large enough area to create a very strong bond.

if the silicone eater does not work then i will have to jam a large screw driver to wedge it off, but this will crack the door (already heard one noise to indicate this when i first tried it).

to confirm, do these silicone eaters work ok (and not "eat") pvc??

thanks,

nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local