What will it entail ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

The 'consumer unit in our house needs some attention. It's in the hall, recessed into the wall about 9 inches from the floor. I've replaced the original rewireable fuses with MCBs as soon as we moved in as a stop gap (apart from the 45A cartridge for the shower, though no RCD).

The unit it adjacent to the elec boards fuse & the tails are about 12-15 inches long

What would need to be done to replace it with a 21st century version ? New unit I assume, re-routing of cables ?? I'll get a few professional quotes as I won't even attempt to tackle any part of this myself ! My main worry is how will the cables we routed from the back of the existing unit, where they are now to a new unit which, I assume, will be higher up.

Any feel for what the job would cost approx parts + labour, we're in a four bedroom house.

I hadn't planned to rewire the whole house.

Thanks, TP

PS. Just finished replacing the existing electric shower so feeling mighty proud. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back