What would I be expected to pay for neighbours land?

Sponsored Links
Yesterday's demolition site is tomorrow's building plot! Ask him what he feels would be a reasonable offer?

You have to remember that if this land were to be available then it's in the market. This means that he's not obligated to sell it and if he does then he can ask whatever price he wants and then you either negotiate, accept or decline. It doesn't matter how much a surveyor might say its worth it's completely down to the owner what price he puts on it.

Like many others have said, you need to have a few different suggestions to throw at him in case you don't get exactly what you want. I'd have said that if he gives you the land then you give him a bit of your current garden but if you don't want to do that then it's all about the money.

Recently one of my neighbours asked me to sell part of my garden to him so that he could extend his. I politely told him that I'll be submitting a planning application and that it would then be a building plot. If he wanted to buy the garden then it'd have to be more than the plot value to make me want to sell it. He couldn't see past the fact that it's 'just a bit of garden' and as the landowner I didn't have to sell. It now has planning permission.

He couldn't see past the fact that it's 'just a bit of garden' and as the landowner I didn't have to sell. It now has planning permission.

Curious, given that he was looking to turn it into a building plot in much the same way! Clearly a rather shortsighted man, or one who was hoping you were

I was most amused (bemused) recently, to find that the valuer for my building society had valued the end result of the house I'm looking to build, at 220K. I responded that if I could buy a 600sqm house on a half acre plot in the relevant area for 220K I certainly wouldnt be building one. Friends who have just put their name down on a 150sqm 2 storey 250K new build over the other side of the hill said they'd buy my end result in a heartbeat at 300K, but right now I'm essentially casting around for a bank to buy it off me and 220K is the best offer. "Something's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it" is ever true

Best of luck with your negotiations, OP!

Sponsored Links
we are negotiating the removal of a ROW over our garden and we are doing a straight swap ROW for 1m strip of land at the bottom of our garden. We both pay our own legal fees.

Turns out our new neighbour wants it removed as much as us as he wants to put an extension on where he would enter our garden . Still we have wanted this ROW gone for 14 years so turns out we are both happy with the arrangement.

Although I have opened a topic regarding the party wall he's planning to build the extension against :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back