Can I make my neighbour put up a fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
new to forum so here is my first post.
bloke has moved in two houses away from us and in his garden (our gardens go down so you have to walk down to our garden its about five feet drop) so now his a built a massive patio at house floor level its about 4 meters long and as wide as the house now the problem is from this new patio he can look right into our garden,now I am live and let live and if it was our attached neighbours then this is fine because we are joined ( I live in a semi and even on the otherside where I share a drive with other neighbour this would be fine,but from two houses away this cannot be right.Can I make him or contact the council and make him put up a six foot fence so he cannot overlook our garden.The thing is if I can make him put the fence up what would my neighbours next to him think they might not want a six foot fence up.
Any help would be great
cheers

Sponsored Links
I doubt there is anything you can do about it, but try posting on this forum it deals with these sort of issues.

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php

I have had problems in the past with neighbours it seems that some people just want something and don't give a tinkers cuss about how it affects others.

That's my rant for the day out of the way!
Good luck,
footprints

What is so interesting about your garden?

Surely you would have to put up a 4.5m high fence to stop anyone looking out of an upstairs window at you..... :?:

Can I make him or contact the council and make him put up a six foot fence so he cannot overlook our garden.The thing is if I can make him put the fence up what would my neighbours next to him think they might not want a six foot fence up.
Any help would be great
cheers
The fence then blocks their light etc. Feel free to call your planning department and ask them. Most I think you can do is cause a nuisance for him by calling building control and asking if he submitted for works controlled under protection from falling, if the far end of the deck features a drop more than the regulation height. You can also level your own garden in the same way, heck get everyone to do it then you're back in the same playing field.

Sponsored Links
Simple answer is "No".

You cannot force someone to put up a fence, there is no law that requires an owner to fence in their residential property.
You can politely ask but expect a rebuff.

You can put up your own fence if you think they look into your garden but can only have a fence upto 2m high unless it is adjacent to a highway where it can only be upto 1m high without planning permission.

Consider what if the tables were turned and you had developed your garden as you wanted?

You want a fence, you fit a fence - its your fence - it goes on your property - you build it with the nice side facing you.

Most I think you can do is cause a nuisance for him by calling building control and asking if he submitted for works controlled under protection from falling, if the far end of the deck features a drop more than the regulation height.
Regs don't apply to patios.

Regs don't apply to patios.[/quote]

So it's only notifiable work that must not leave a house less compliant than before?

It would apply in regards to access at the entrance to a property but not in prevention from falls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back