What you don't see, WILL hurt you, sometimes....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just asembled a new conservatory at the back of my house. Adjoining it is an old ground floor extension that I'm tidying up, which includes putting on a new roof. The old roof was made of corrugated metal sheets nailed down onto the supporting battens. The nails were the ribbed type that don't come out easily (good idea for a roof), so I had to grind them all off. It was a slightly breezy day when I took the old roof off and fitted the new one. The job is now complete and I'm quite happy with the the new roof. However, while cleaning the windows in the conservatory today, I noticed hundreds of tiny brown blemishes on the outer glass panels. I thought they were bugs. On close inspection it turned out that they are rusted metal shards from my grinding. Looking back at the day I did the grinding, I am sure that the sparks were not going near the conservatory but I now realise that I could only see the yellow hot metal shards and not the "cooled down but still hot enough to melt glass, shards.", which were obviously blown onto my conservatory. At the time, I had the manufacturers protective tape on the upvc frames so they were protected.

2 french doors and 3 glazed units (2 panels in each unit) are affected. :(

Sponsored Links
might be rust stains

try cleaning a smal sample section with Jenolite on clean cotton (wear rubber gloves and clean off with water)

Jenolote is a clear acid rust remover sold in motorists toyshops.

Don't use a paste rust treatment.

Jewelers rouge, is what you need Kev ;)

John, what sort of toys do motorists buy ?. :LOL:

Fluffy dice, invisible number plates, hanging trees, plastic hub caps, chromed exhausts, sparkly gearknobs, go-faster stripes...

Sponsored Links
John, thanks for the tip about Jenolite. It certainly got rid of the rusty metal chips. However, I'm now left with hundreds of verysmall chipped holes in the glass panes, which are not as noticeable as they were when the metal shards were embeded.

clf-gas, what is jeweller's rouge? Is it a glass polish, that I can use to blend out the chips, because I think thats the next step.

clf-gas said:
With you now :oops:

Tooth ache clouding the mind (poor me emoticon) ;)

Bloody Heck CLF....Toothache , pranged van..You are having a bit of a ****e weekend!!

Keep yer chin up

yes, jewellers rouge is glass polish. It is very fine powder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back