Best Heat Source for Conservatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wondered what the latest thoughts are on the most efficient and effecting heating of conservatories, fully recognising that they are not an efficient building option!

I'm just in the process of replacing an existing conservatory. Although I've not gone for yripple glazing, I've managed to get the double glazed units down to a 1 u-value (although with the angle of the roof it is nearer to 1.6 in the roof glass).

My initial thoughts were to retrofit the Polyplumb Overlay underfloor heating option but having stumbled across some old threads on this forum, it looks like air source heat unitsare another option (and have the air conditioning benefit in the summer).

Does anyone have experience or recommendations around these options? Really appreciate any thoughts.

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
you need a heat loss calculation first and foremost... anything else is ****ing in the wind!

Don't try and heat a conservatory. Just shut the doors to it in the winter and keep out.
There just a glorified green house at the end of the day built to keep up with the joneses.

In summer when it gets hot, if you feel obliged to sit inside it and cook instead of going outside into the fresh air, then open a window.
Simples.

We looked at heating our conservatory and priced all options.

Our solution was a twenty quid heater from argos. It might cost 20p an hour to run, and the heat goes out of the roof rather quickly, but it will take decades of average winter use for it to cost more than a properly engineered solution. It keeps the place warm enough when it's turned on - but not a minute more.

As for summer use, if it's not north facing then you are stuffed. Fortunately ours is so it only reaches mid 90s. Mrs likes that, I stay out.

Sponsored Links
Better off insulating the roof/plasterboarding and calling it a garden room. You can use it all year round then.

Thanks all for your responses - it wasn't quite what I was expecting but honest and to the point!

If my house didn't have a conservatory when I moved in, I certainly wouldn't have had one built (if more space was needed then an extension with a triple glazed open frontage would be where I'd spent the money).

However, this place had one but the quality was dire, so if we are going to have one then I'd rather it be of a better more useable quality, hence why I'm replacing the existing with at least a glass roof to a good spec.

We are only looking to use it has some extra space for the little one at weekends (e.g. play room) and perhaps occasional entertaining when temperature permits.

I think the feedback is invest the least in the solution and use a basic heating solution as little as possible. With hindsight, I probably should have knocked the old one down and saved £6.5k!

Thanks again for the responses to-date.

Damian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back