What's a good flow rate for a bathroom basin?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by butako123, 30 Oct 2021.

1. butako123

butako123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Were having our upstairs bathroom replaced. Our system is gravity fed pressure from tank in the loft. It seems to be a trend that modern monobloc single lever taps seem to have quite low flow rates, to save water. My wife likes a Hansgrohe tap which is rated at 4 l/min at 0.2 bar. Which sounds quite low to me! (Our old taps I measured them at 8 l/min).

Is 4 l/min just a dribble or good for cleaning teeth/washing hands? Are there recommended building codes for minimum flow rates? Would you be happy with 4 l/min in your bathroom sink?

Here is the tap, looks beautiful: https://www.hansgrohe.co.uk/article...-min--0-2-bar-without-waste-71101010#techdata

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Munroast

Munroast

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    why do you not reduce the flow from your existing tap to 4l per min, (you could probably do this from the isolating valve on the pipe leading to the tap) then asses over the next few weeks if it is sufficient.

just measured 4 litres per min, and it is tediously slow. Of course you will never know how well it flows until it is fitted, your water pressure may be above 0.2bar, I have no idea if that is high or low on a gravity feed.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. butako123

butako123

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    thanks Munroast. Don't have much time as the bathroom work has already started.
    What is the "normal" for bathroom taps? Surely there must be some industry guidelines or regs about what is good/bad flow rate?

5. denso13

denso13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not really, just set your kitchen sink tap to 4l/min and see what you think.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Dereekoo

Dereekoo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  7. denso13

denso13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nothing to do with minimum mains pressure/flow, we are discussing a cistern fed system.

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

9. Sponsored Links