What's involved in making another sewer connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We're considering adding an en-suite but there is no drainage on this side of the house. Our house is on a slope and the existing main sewer connection is on the high part of the slope, so I think it's too high to run a drain from the proposed location (there wouldn't be enough fall).

So I was wondering what's involved in making a new connection to the sewer in the road and rough order of magnitude costs in doing so.

Thanks,
Ben

Sponsored Links
Surely if the existing toilets in the house feed into that sewer then there will be enough fall for a new toilet to feed in.

Doesn't change the cost though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses.

Surely if the existing toilets in the house feed into that sewer then there will be enough fall for a new toilet to feed in.

The existing WC connects to a manhole on our drive, but our house is on a slope so the drive is quite a bit higher than the other side of the house where the new proposed connection will need. So I meant that there is not enough fall for it to connect to the manhole on our drive.

Possibly a macerator?

That's why I was keen to know rough costs. I'm willing to pay a lot of money to avoid a macerator. If it cost 5k to connect to the main sewer and that avoided a macerator I would be happy to pay it.

£5K will cover a domestic pumping station
Google then. Plenty to choose from.
Not as reliable as natural fall, but with a fitted alarm they do the job.
Regards oldun

Thanks for the responses.

The existing WC connects to a manhole on our drive, but our house is on a slope so the drive is quite a bit higher than the other side of the house where the new proposed connection will need. So I meant that there is not enough fall for it to connect to the manhole on our drive.

Possibly a macerator?

That's why I was keen to know rough costs. I'm willing to pay a lot of money to avoid a macerator. If it cost 5k to connect to the main sewer and that avoided a macerator I would be happy to pay it.

A basic macerator will cost about £300, what are you smoking?

A basic macerator will cost about £300, what are you smoking?

Nothing. Seriously. What's wrong with wanting a job done properly? A macerator is a bad solution in my opinion. Just google 'saniflo problems'. Not having to deal with all that cr*p (pun intended!) is worth seeking a better (albeit more expensive) solution.

If it was your only bog, I would understand, but as a secondary one, it's a lot of dough.
You could stick that 5 grand in a savings account, and the interest would buy you an engineer callout approx every twelve months.

Problems are usually caused by misuse or bad installation, other makes are available, so you could spend a few hundred more for a more heavy duty, easier to maintain system.

Deluks, you are right of course.

Anyway.....

I was interested if anyone had rough idea of cost so I could make an informed decision, instead of just assuming it would be too expensive and therefore opting for a macerator.

I am getting confused here. Has your house got lower floor levels at the back? The sloping ground is irrelevant if the new toilet is at the same floor level with the existing, it will fall to the manhole.

Have you looked inside your manhole? They can be surprisingly deep.

FWIW I don't like macerators much either. The noise can be a damned nuisance in the night.

I am getting confused here. Has your house got lower floor levels at the back? The sloping ground is irrelevant if the new toilet is at the same floor level with the existing, it will fall to the manhole.

The ground slopes from left to right as you look at the front of the house. The existing manhole on the drive is on the left of the house (higher ground). The proposed WC would be on the first floor of the right hand side of the house, but the SVP would enter the ground on the RHS, which is much lower than the existing manhole on the left.

Have you looked inside your manhole? They can be surprisingly deep.

Yeah, it's on the verge I reckon. Probably about 1.5-1.8m down. The top of the manhole cover is probably about 1m higher than where the new SVP would enter the ground. I read that buried pipes need to be 600mm below gardens and etc, which means starting at 1.6m below the top of the existing manhole cover. The run would be around 15m I guess.

But you are right - need to get out and measure it all to be sure.

Thanks Andrew for that tip. Looks like you joined especially to help me out :)

What kind of contractor should I contact to figure out what would be possible? Most drainage companies seem bent towards jetting and nothing else.

Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back