1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

What's the best central heating filter

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Daviesmith, 25 Jan 2021.

1. Daviesmith

Daviesmith

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi what filter do you fit and why ?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Magnaclean. Good quality and I like being able to take it apart to clean it properly. Can never be sure whether these ones you just flush out the bottom are actually properly clean or not

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Last edited: 26 Jan 2021
  5. sxturbo

sxturbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The fernox omega is very good.

So is the magnaclean

The spirotec MB2 filter is also good

The magnaclean is probably the most well known

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Were they one of the first? Just wondering whether people refer to a magnaclean when talking about magnetic filters in the same way as they refer to a hoover when talking about vacuum cleaners.

8. sxturbo

sxturbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah they were the mainstream pioneer's, and yes they are a bit like hoover's,

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Yes.Maybe .Magnaclean used to be terrible for leaking..They are on MK 10 now so not as bad..Baxi supply them as part of a new boiler package.Not sure about other boiler mfrs

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. ScottishGasMan

ScottishGasMan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    First thing to realise about Central heating filters is that they all perform poorly (to what you might expect) By that I mean they do not pick up sediment on the first pass.

So dirt often goes round the system and boiler multiple times, and each time a little will catch on the filter and a little will get stuck in the boiler. Its for this reason systems should be very very thoroughly flushed out, and a filter fitted as a sort of last line of defence/indicator as to dirt build up.

If you get a good amount of dirt out a filter thats great, but also means the system has a problem as ideally the filter would be nearly clear if the system was properly flushed.

Magnaclean started the trend of magnetic filters in domestic premisis. Lovely idea done horribly in practice to begin with, but I've only seen a few dozen of the latest models leaking which is a significant drop from the old ones. I like being able to isolate/drain and pull them apart if I want to which as a heating engineer has some benifits.

Sprirotec has always been my chosen filter as I've still never seen one leak. flushing takes 5 seconds and filter will last a lifetime.

IMI have a similar one to Spirotec that claims to capture much more dirt on first pass, but I've never had a chance to fit one on a relitvly dirty system as of yet to try out.

Apart from those 3 I wouldnt stray further afield, as they are tried and tested equipment. Theres a load of cr@p out there that say their a filter but their just leaking plastic tubs.

Unless fernox plan on replacing all the leaking TF1 filters for free with the omega I wouldnt hand over my money to them as they are one of the worst mainstream filters out there.

• Thanks Thanks x 1