what's the cable that was designed to avoid RCD and zone's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure that when I did my 17th they had promotional samples of a cable.

It looked like PF100 or white fire alarm cable (white sheath- heavy foil / light tin liner, then LNE cores- the earth being stranded and against the liner).

It avoids (or so they were suggesting) the issue with no RCD's and new circuits less than 50mm from the face.

What then follows on is that am I not right in thinking the cable could then be run outside safe zones ?
Maybe not good practice, but if metal conduit can deviate out of zone and the cable is designed as suitable for use in areas that would normally have conduit............ :eek:

Sponsored Links
Flexishield. I think there is a link in the wiki.

Here it is! Clicky.

Don't think it can deviate outside safe zones. I think only the magic conduit can do that.

That was quick- have a thankyou :LOL:

Flexishield has been specifically developed for applications where cables are required to be concealed within thin partitions and building voids, complying with amendment No 2, 2004 to the wiring regulations BS7671:2001 and with BS8436 as referred to in regulation 522-06-06.

Flexishield’s principal benefit is the ability for an electrical circuit to fail safe, operating a 32A Type B circuit breaker, in the event of the cable being penetrated by a nail. This is the main performance requirement of cables to BS8436. Until these changes to the standards, more expensive installation methods using conduit or SWA cables were the main choices for cable protection used in fixed wiring applications.

They call themselves
Pre-Wired Conduit Company Ltd

So if conduit is allowed to be run anywhere outside safe cable zones, and the cable professes to be a replacement for conduit protection............

:?: :?: :?:

you might want to check the price of that stuff :eek:

i was considering getting a drum of 1.5 and keeping it for those little 'can you just move this light switch' jobs where theres not RCD and customer wont wear it.

Sponsored Links
You can also use SWA which is a bit bulky, or Pyro.
Personally I don't like to deviate away from the zones where there is no indication of buried cables owing to the amount of repair work required to a cable should it be drilled into unless in conduit - at least conduit can take a bit of an impact before it is breached.

Personally I don't like to deviate away from the zones where there is no indication of buried cables owing to the amount of repair work required to a cable should it be drilled into unless in conduit - at least conduit can take a bit of an impact before it is breached.

I couldn't agree more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back