Whats the crack with the chimney stack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello group, been in new house for 6 months now, previous owner forgot to mention that when its rains heavily, the water runs down the inside of the chimney stack and drips through the extractor fan onto the cooker (fire removed by previous owner and cooker fitted in), which really ruins the spag boll you've just made. I've checked the stack and the render is cracked in many places, however it doesn't look that bad close up, after pressure washing it yesterday there were no signs of water penetration in the kitchen downstairs. The haunching around the old pots has deteriorated badly and I presume this is where the water is getting in, I'm getting the old Edwardian pots removed this week and gas cowels put on instead, but I'd like renovate the stack and try to patch it up then paint it. My question is this, what is the cheapest way of patching up the cracks in the existing render, there are upteen products stating they all do this, but they cost a small fortune, can I use a cement mix and brush it on, or do I need to use the likes of Ronseals weatherseal, a colleague of mine suggested water mixed with PVA 3 parts to 1. My ultimate goal is to make it good and paint it, any suggestions welcome.
Hope the good weather last for you all!
Otto in sunny Cumbria
[/img]

Sponsored Links
very little water falls down a chimneypot or cracked flaunching. Look also for water running down a roof or gutter and getting through a crack.

you may see something from the loft

very little water falls down a chimneypot or cracked flaunching. Look also for water running down a roof or gutter and getting through a crack.

you may see something from the loft

Thanks for the response, it's not a torrent of water, more of sustained dripping. I've ran some silicon around the pots this morning, just to put me on until the cowels are replaced.
Regards
Otto

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back