What's the difference between subbase and ballast?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And can I just use one dumpy bag (e.g. this or this) for both mixing concrete and the base it sits on?

(This will be for a small (1.2m x 1.0m) pad to support some blocks with an IBC full of rainwater on top.)

Thanks a lot,
Adam

Sponsored Links
... after a bit of googling (and i'm a DIYer not a pro..) i found this:

The proportions of materials for a C20P (P = Portland cement) mix are 1 x cement, 2 x fine aggregate (sand) and 4 x coarse aggregate. If you are using premixed ballast, then 6 of these are mixed with 1 part cement.

so go for the ballast....

Thanks, but how did you find out what's in the ballast? And can it be used as a sub-base and if so, why does anyone buy the MOT1? And if not, how come? Surely they're both just a mixture of gravel and sand?

Thanks
Adam

The MOT material tends to interlock much better than standard ballast does. Hence Ballast typically has to be used with a binder (Cement) to form a stable or strong base / material. The stones in gravel tend to be rounded and don't self bind, whereas MOT material tends to have straighter edged particles that do set up against each other. MOT whilst not strong by itself for any direct traffic does an excellent job as a base layer.

I likely did a cr&p job of trying to convey that so have a read of this for a much better overview and details:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/subbase.htm

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back