Large shed base ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to build a shed with the base dimensions 7.2m x 3m (external sizes).
I'm considering various options for the base, which are:

1/ shuttering and readymix concrete to 150mm deep, reinforced. Tried googling numerous companies but can't even get a ballpark figure on cost. Would provide a good solid base and if I decided to use it as a garage at any point I could alter the end to fit a garage door and still have shed space at the other end. Sounds expensive and not a lot of room for error.

2/ block pads, with a timber frame above this. if I divided the area into 12(6x2) 1.2m squares this should prevent flex. Still the problem of reinforcing at the intersections. Would need 21 pads(ball ache to set out and level)

3/ concreting in 4 upright posts(100x100) at each corner and a further 2 at 3.6m along the length either side. Attach and level the 6x2's around the inner then use joist hangers to attach the inner timber. This would need a single pad in the centre, but at all the 1.2m intersections I could use old slabs/slate/opposing wedges to support below to the ground. It's getting put on cleared glacial till- no soil/clay etc just the best type of ground to build on so it won't sink, drains instantly.
This one appeals because I get the exact outer dimensions I need to clad it, will take less time and probably less money. I could always dig a small hole instead of using slabs/slate etc and just put a small amount of concrete in and put a short post in, screw it to the joists and cut off excess?
Downsides are potential to rot and having to get setting out absolutely spot on, with every one of the 6 posts being absolutely plumb.

Can anyone else advise what they may have done? Getting a headache thinking about it now!!!!

:confused:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back