Whats the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had some decorating done and saw the decorator just used dulux trade paint. The finish seems okay but has run in a couple of places, nothing that worrys me that much.

My query is what is 'trade' paint and how does it differ to what I would buy...i.e non drip / one coat stuff. Is it cheaper? better in some way? or just a ruse by paint companies to entice me into buying a paint because I somehow consider myself good enough to walk around purporting to be a 'tradesman'

Thanks and a very Merry Christmas.

Sponsored Links
Ok....

There is a difference...its mostly in the qualities of the paint.

Retail paint appears to be 'thicker', it isnt..its whats called false body, try stirring it up and you'l find it turns very liquid. (painters have a term for this but your not allowed to swear on here!)

The jelly like consistency is there to help DIYers apply the paint better, its gives it flow and brushablility..

Professionals dont need those sort of qualities we are experienced in putting it on.

The other difference you'l find is the smell...DIY paint doesnt smell as strong as trade paints...in most cases it will have a lower VOC again...this is becasue its aimed mostly for use within a home environment where a low odour is important to some people.

Professionals arnt really bothered by the smell...(normally because their sense of smell is wrecked after so much exposure!)

Now...heres the difference...

In order for paint to have these qualities, something has to be taken out of the tin...the pigment, which is what gives a paint a lot of its opacity or covering power

Retail paints just dont cover as well as trade paints (leyland paint and dulux trade weathershield excluded!)

Pros need the paint to cover in the least amount of coats.

I have had situations when the customer has wanted to buy retail paint, but when ive told them it could cost them an extra £?...amount to do a third coat they have dropped the idea.

Personally, I wouldnt touch any retail paint...if budget is an issue id rather use a cheaper brand such as Johnstones..or at a push, Leyland

Excellant reply...thanks,

You are right about the smell...my house still stinks...of course the decorators are long gone!

But at least now I understand why I should aspire to being able to use 'trade' paint and have a perfect finish...thanks again..

post locked to prevent hi jacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back