Decorators used different brand of paint ?????

I guess you will have to calculate how many pounds worth of unhappy you are.

You could always play dumb and say that you thought that it would lighten/darken over time (which it wont).

You paid for a given colour and the decorators decided to be cheap and save 4% on the total cost (assuming that materials were up to 10% of the total). IF they claim that they were assured by the supplier that the colour would be the same then they should take that up with the supplier.

See if you can get an independent quote to repaint, this should be much lower than the price you just paid given that there will be minimal prep required.

Give the decs your price and find a compromise. Small claims courts are a pain and you might not win or be awarded the amount that you want.

If they are Dulux accredited you can try to take it up with them. Not sure if they will get involved given that it wasn't their paint.

Not sure that you would want them back- the hit that they will have to take will make them rather grumpy.

I do have some sympathy for them but they were in the wrong.

Good luck

BTW I normally leave lining paper for the client to paint on but cardboard is fine.

Sponsored Links
cheers opps - yeah the colour on our cardboard patches is the same as the colour of our Dulux samples on the walls (we've done this before and it works well)

will let you know how it goes !

If you took the new paint on a piece of paper to your local DIY shed tomorrow and asked them to scan it on a dulux machine, i wonder if it would flag up the colour you wanted as the nearest match in the dulux range. Wouldn't cost you anything just to scan it..

An afterthought!!! was the original sample premixed by dulux and not a shop??? If not you will need to verify that the smaple pot was accurate.

Please do let us know how it goes and remember to follow up converstaions with emails/recorded letters if the painters prove to be difficult

UPDATE:

1) We didn't realise they were using Johnstones until after they had finished and left - (they left the leftovers for us to patch after we remove stairgates)

2) We've bought the Dulux match pots and put them on the walls - there is a difference - and we are not happy

3) We didn't cancel the cheque

4) Looks like I'm going to have an interesting conversation on Monday !

5) Anyone want to give odds on them coming back and sorting it out ?

erm 75% chance they wont 25% chance they will :)

thats one thing you have to keep an eye on is trades men some of them are totall scummy cowboys who cut corners. you should check how much they paid for the johnstons paint im pretty sure itl be cheaper to buy than dulux aswell and youve been charged for it.

looks like someones gna have there head on the chopping board.but your quite right afterall........ the painter is the boss of his firm..... but......your the boss of them as you pay them to do the work :)

Sponsored Links
yeah the original sample was Dulux supplied (by mail order) both colours we used are Dulux standard ready-mixed ones

yeah the original sample was Dulux supplied (by mail order) both colours we used are Dulux standard ready-mixed ones

i would bring it up with the boss. to be honest. im just wondering if they have an account with johnstons where they get a discount off etc.... maybe thats why they used it.

UPDATE 1:

Spoke to the guy, he was very apologetic and it looks as though we may be able to work someting out. I suspect we'll end up buying the paint though

(You know the really annoying thing - the same thing happened to our neighbours a few years ago!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back