Anyone tried Wickes Trade paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to do a significant amount of decorating, painting over some neutral colours with another neutral colour...

I know dulux trade is good, but it costs a fortune. I was wondering if anyone had used wickes branded trade paint and whether the results were ok?

Or would you prefer to go for a more "reputable" trade brand of paint?

Sponsored Links
Wickes stuff isn't that bad to be honest. I've only used the trade Matt emulsion so comment on any of the others.

I'd always go for the best you can afford as it saves so much time. There's nothing worse than having to paint a ceiling 3 times just to get even coverage.

Cheers

Wickes stuff isn't that bad to be honest. I've only used the trade Matt emulsion so comment on any of the others.

I'd always go for the best you can afford as it saves so much time. There's nothing worse than having to paint a ceiling 3 times just to get even coverage.

Cheers

Cheers. Will probably get a smaller pot and see how it goes. We have pretty much a whole house (5 bed including a seperate annexe) that will need redecorating over the next 2 years. Think the rollers may need changing after we finish...

Sponsored Links
So long as you're talking about the Trade Matt emulsion then OK.

However don't go anywhere near the solvent-based gloss or undercoat. After a couple of weeks the Wickes gloss is so tarnished you'd think it'd been on the woodwork for 5 years. And the undercoat.... well, they ought to be sued by the Trading Standards for using the word "paint" on the tin!! It takes about 3 coats to achieve the colour coverage you achieve in a single coat of decent paint.

Prior to 2010, Wickes solvent paints were supplied by Leyland/Johnstone's and were pretty good stuff.
Not now !!

wickes paint is fantastic, it is as good as dulux and alot cheaper - although years ago there gloss was not very good, i was persuaded to try it as they get it from a new supplier (i tried there gloss one coat) and it was the best i have every used.

I always use wickes paint now - saved a fortune

The trade emulsions are ok for new plaster, not brilliant, but good value if you need large quantities . The vinyl matt and silk are better but a bit dearer of course but there solvent based products aren't much good . There undercoat covers nothing and is really hard work to put on and the gloss isn't any better . At one time Kalon used to supply all there paints and the old Masters range was pretty good . Who the new supplier is I don't know . Pay that bit extra for Dulux Trade or even Glidden and you notice the difference ,

I know dulux trade is good, but it costs a fortune. ?

Agreed it's not cheap but as others have said, if you need to apply an extra coat of cheap paint then it becomes a false economy.

If you are a reasonable amount of DT then a decent decorators merchants will cut you a deal (nb- not a DIY shed)

There are sound economic reasons as to why tradesmen pay premium rates for quality paints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back