Whats the method for fitting DPM on sleeper walls please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched...honest! I am a novice..Simple question...I am relaying new floor joists onto ground floor brick sleeper walls topped with new sleeper timber.

What's the procedure...Sleeper wall, thin bed mortar to stick the DPM, then thicker bed mortar to bed the timber sleeper, then joist?
What mix should for the mortar?
What is the best way to level the joists, I have plenty of slate for packing, Do I use this to level the joists before the mortar has set..or wait for it to set, then level the joists with slate?
Thanks all. Shimmy.

Sponsored Links
What's the procedure...Sleeper wall, thin bed mortar to stick the DPM, then thicker bed mortar to bed the timber sleeper, then joist?

That's the way.

A 1:6 mortar with some plasticiser would be OK.

Ideally your timber plate should be level, but if you have to pack the joists, don't use slate. Use thin timber packing so that you can skew-nail the joists to the plate.

cut the plate to length(assuming it is pre treated timber),roll dpm onto plate allow for over hang so you can return it onto the ends.using clout nails,nail dpm to plate,lay pug course and using level tap plate into position,jobs a good en. ;) thats what ive been doing for years.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again fellas. Slowly moving forward! All new to me this, so thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back