What's the most cost effective way of flooring over this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my garage there's a trench, about 5 feet deep and 5'6 wide. Currently it's full of sand but I want to dig it out and install something that will be strong enough to take the weight of a car rolling over it but fairly easy to remove should the need arise (note: no plans to remove at the moment, needs flooring and forgetting) but right now, just something strong enough that the building inspector won't pay any more heed to it without insisting I fill the trench in with type 1 and concrete over the top of it to get a strong garage floor base

Right now, covering some of it is 8mm steel plate, but no idea what it'd cost to do out the entire trench in steel cos I need to cover an additional 20 linear metres. I've thought about railway sleepers and block n beam flooring but maybe there are other options anyone can suggest?

Sponsored Links
What's the edge detail, what are the sides of the trench? What is the junction where the side meets the floor? Etc. Photos?

B/B would be my first thought.

Apologies for the lack of detail; self-wrist-slap

Hokay; these trenches are rendered concrete block walls all round and a solid concrete floor. At the top of the wall and flush with the existing floor slab is a large block of sandstone with a step cut into it that is about 10mm high. Formerly a large steel plate would have sat in this step and bridged the gap (about 5' worth of steel). Now, the plan is to remove these sandstone blocks (some of them are 6ft long so should make a nice reclaim feature elsewhere in the build) which will leave a concrete wall with a concrete slab near it, and an approx. 6" x 6" landing at the top of the wall/next to the slab

Diagram:

Sponsored Links
I would wack the sand down then fill to top surface less 2" wack it down again and put paving slabs on it. Cheapest thing I could think of, temporary job, its like driving a car over a field - does the ground swallow the car? Also perfectly safe the worse outcome could be a cracked paving slab.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back