Foundations for small timber extension in restricted space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning a small (2m x 2.5m) timber-framed utility room extension on the front of the garage / side of the house. The driveway is only just over 2.5 metres wide, with our house and the neighbour's converted garage either side. So I'm wondering about the likely best / most cost effective way to do the foundations.

I need to take ground level down by about 400mm anyway across the area to accommodate hardcore/insulation/slab and match up to the floor level of the garage.

I'm not certain exactly how to identify the soil type, but I've lifted a couple of paving bricks and dug down 500mm or so below the sand / hardcore the soil and it still seems fairly soft. The other complication is that we're on a hill - the neighbour's garage floor is about 1m below our ground. So if I have to take foundations below the bottom of their building that could end up pretty deep.

But I think with such a narrow space it's going to be pretty awkward and slow to dig trenches and remove spoil with a digger - certainly for the front wall across the drive.

Any suggestions? Is it likely to be worth exploring pads / piles / rafts (and paying an engineer to design them) cost-wise? Or should I just suck it up and get the spade out?

Also, I'd probably want to use readymix concrete. If I did go for trenches, is it possible to pour them and the slab at the same time? I think would be the most cost-effective delivery for a job this size?

Just hoping to specify something that's got a reasonable chance of building control being happy with it and a limited risk of having to change plans / regret the approach once we start digging...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back