Building a room above garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of buying a house that has an attached garage to one side. I am considering having an additional room built above the garage.

Looking at other houses on the street, I cannot see any that have had this done - leading me to believe the footings are not strong enough for another floor above the existing structure. I will look into this before making any final decisions - but i am expecting my belief to be proven.

Should this be the case - I would consider having the existing garage removed and a new one built with the room above. However, I have 'heard' that there may be another way, i.e. the use of a steel frame that's posted at all 4 corners that supprts the room above. Is this something anyone on hear has heard of/used? If so, how does it compare in terms of cost to 'normal' building methods.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Either method is about the same cost, and equal messing about.

You can also dig down inside the garage and cast a new concrete foundation to support the inner leaf which will be doing all the work. Whether you would be able to add to the existing outer leaf would be determined when the foundation is exposed.

Is the garage single or double skin? If single skin then beams are often required that need to span between the piers to support the new inner skin.

Is your garage attached to a neighbour’s garage? If so then It becomes even more hassle to avoid overhanging the boundary as you have to set your wall back. Still doable just more hassle.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at my thread as this is exactly what I'm doing,

Contains photos and details if your interested

Gaz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back