Whats the problem with Daily Mail

you seem to have a fantasy that people who don't share your opinions are all Guardian readers.

you are wrong.

I think your fantazising, where did I say that.
In any event there are not that many Guardian readers, they only sell about 200,000 copies compared to the Mail over 2million copies.
Not all Mail readers are stupid

Sponsored Links

Cancer Research UK do mention that "By far the biggest risk factor for bladder cancer – as for so many types of cancer – is tobacco, which causes about two thirds of cases."
although this is not mentioned by the Mail.

Easy,,, If you go swimming at the local baths, don't smoke in the deep end. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Here's an interesting article from the Daily Mail

"Swimming too often in chlorinated water 'could increase risk of developing bladder cancer', claim scientists
By Daily Mail Reporter"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ancer-risk-chemicals-skin-say-scientists.html

And here's a criticism, from Cancer Research UK, pointing out that the research they claim to base the article on, did not mention a link betweeen swimming in chlorinated water, and bladder cancer.
http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk...orry-about-having-a-shower-or-drinking-water/

Pure Daily Mail fantasy.

Cancer Research UK do mention that "By far the biggest risk factor for bladder cancer – as for so many types of cancer – is tobacco, which causes about two thirds of cases."
although this is not mentioned by the Mail.

All newspapers make mistakes, whats your point.?
Here is one from the Guardian.

www.addictiontoday.org/.../2010/.../not-smart-guardian-misquotes.ht...

You're defending Mail readers vehemently anobium, do you have a motive?

If you're happy to read the Mail, there's nothing wrong with that. If others are happy to read the Guardian, there's nothing wrong there either and so on with other newspapers ad infinitum. There will always be those who will make remarks about readers of this, watchers of that, etc, it's the way we speak, it's the way we are. There's nothing in most of those comments other than to try and pigeon hole a group of people. Well we're all pigeon holed to a greater or lesser extent. With respect, I think you need to relax a bit. Nothing said in this thread will alter any perspective either way, you'll always be right, they'll always be wrong and vice versa.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure this was in the Daily "hate" mail... well it should have been!!

"
Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

is also known as hydric acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
may cause severe burns.
contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of vehicle brakes.
has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
CONTAMINATION IS REACHING EPIDEMIC PROPORTIONS!
Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in the world today. The pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. In the UK alone DHMO has caused millions of pounds of property damage.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
as an industrial solvent and coolant.
in nuclear power plants.
in the production of styrofoam.
as a fire retardant.
in many forms of cruel animal research.
in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.
Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!
THE HORROR MUST BE STOPPED!

The government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of the nation." In fact, the navy and other military organisations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-million pound devices to control and utilise it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.

IT'S NOT TOO LATE!

Act NOW to prevent further contamination. Find out more about this dangerous chemical. What you don't know can hurt you and others throughout the world.

"

LOL!

I'm sure this was in the Daily "hate" mail... well it should have been!!

"
Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

is also known as hydric acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
may cause severe burns.
contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of vehicle brakes.
has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
CONTAMINATION IS REACHING EPIDEMIC PROPORTIONS!
Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in the world today. The pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. In the UK alone DHMO has caused millions of pounds of property damage.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
as an industrial solvent and coolant.
in nuclear power plants.
in the production of styrofoam.
as a fire retardant.
in many forms of cruel animal research.
in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.
Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!
THE HORROR MUST BE STOPPED!

The government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of the nation." In fact, the navy and other military organisations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-million pound devices to control and utilise it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.

IT'S NOT TOO LATE!

Act NOW to prevent further contamination. Find out more about this dangerous chemical. What you don't know can hurt you and others throughout the world.

"

LOL!

Water off a ducks back

don't get me started on ducks, scary! (but tasty with a plum sauce)

I'm sure the landlord at our local has been adding DHMO to the beer he serves, probably in an attempt to get us hooked on this noxious substance. It does appear to be working though. I'm going back there tomorrow night. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Telegraph and the Mail,

Hats off to the telegraph for exposing the mp's expenses scandal and having the guts to go with the story.

The mail exposed the Court of protection scandal ..... didnt see this in the guardian.

The Guardian exposed the Phone Hacking scandal, in the face of denials from the culprits, which the Press Compaints Commission foolishly believed, and accused the Guardian of scaremongering.

Now we know better...

anobium
what is your agenda, you have stuck your head above the parapet but you are not prepared to be shot down. you are entitled to your opinion, but when people turn round and tell you what a ridiculous rag the mail is you take the hump.

Here is one from the Guardian.
www.addictiontoday.org/.../2010/.../not-smart-guardian-misquotes.ht...[/QUOTE]
poor old anob can't do links properly :LOL:

For your info I am neither old or poor.
Yes the link is not working but to save you searching here is the article in question for what its worth.
I have no idea if the allegations are correct, all I am trying to show is that all papers are guilty of misquotes.
Even the Times, remember the Hitler Diaries.

NOT SMART: GUARDIAN MISQUOTES
Dr Joe Gerstein, founding president of Smart Recovery USA, was misquoted in the Guardian newspaper on 10 March as attacking AA - and the story was carried across the Atlantic to JoinTogether. He puts the record straight through Laura Graham and Addiction Today.

Gerstein was in London last week, to attend the Smart Recovery conference, Developing Choice in Peer-Support. While here he gave an interview to Denis Campbell at the Guardian newspaper, to attract positive attention to options in recovery. However, when the article was printed on 10 March it was clear that Gerstein had been misquoted, leaving readers with the mistaken impression that Smart Recovery is an anti-AA organisation. He has welcomed the opportunity from Addiction Today to clarify this misrepresentation.

The quotation attributed to Gerstein in paragraph four of the Guardian article was taken out of context in a way which completely altered the meaning. Joe did not say that AA was “ethically wrong, medically wrong and psychologically wrong” as printed.

He did say that “The coercion of people into attending AA meetings is unethical...” but the Guardian chose not to include the proceeding words. Gerstein believes coercion into any self-help group to be unethical - including coercion into Smart Recovery.

AA IS "ABSOLUTELY REMARKABLE"

Also, the printed misquote completely contradicts what was is previously stated whereby Gerstein acknowledges AA as an “absolutely remarkable programme” given that millions have found it useful over the past 75 years.

In anticipation of possible mischaracterisation, Gerstein took the step of emailing Campbell after the interview in order to clarify his position. In an email dated 4 March, he writes “I want to be sure that one of the points of our discussion is that Smart Recovery is not anti-AA. We are anti-absence-of-choice in addiction care. In fact, an informal survey of Smart Recovery attendees in Massachusetts who consider Smart Recovery their primary approach to recovery indicated that about 25% also attended AA meetings occasionally. We have absolutely no problem with that.

"Both research and logic indicates that choosing your own recovery pathway is more likely to lead to success. I mention this because reporters sometimes present the alternatives as some sort of contest between the two programmes."

LETTERS OF COMPLAINT

A letter of complaint has been sent to the Guardian in the reasonable hope that a corrective statement will be printed. This letter has been copied to Paul Hayes at the National Treatment Agency, as he recently engaged the Guardian in the NTA's stated “recovery and reintegration” agenda.

Posted at 09:50 PM in Current Affairs, News | Permalink

You're defending Mail readers vehemently anobium, do you have a motive?

If you're happy to read the Mail, there's nothing wrong with that. If others are happy to read the Guardian, there's nothing wrong there either and so on with other newspapers ad infinitum. There will always be those who will make remarks about readers of this, watchers of that, etc, it's the way we speak, it's the way we are. There's nothing in most of those comments other than to try and pigeon hole a group of people. Well we're all pigeon holed to a greater or lesser extent. With respect, I think you need to relax a bit. Nothing said in this thread will alter any perspective either way, you'll always be right, they'll always be wrong and vice versa.

Fair post Blasphemous, but it is not my intention to defend Mail readers, I am sure the majority are more capable than me of doing that themselves.
As a regular reader of the Mail I too am capable of sorting the wheat from the chaff and do not rely on it totally for my info on world events.
If anything I rely these days on the various tv news channels including Aljezera, CCN, Press, Fox, Sky, BBC, etc etc for my info on world events.
My main gripe is with those who for some reason think they are always right and anybody who doesn't agree with them is wrong.

Sponsored Links
Back