What's this black rubber putty and how do I remove it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm currently sorting the living room and want to bring the original floorboards back to their former glory. They're in great nick apart from this bit in the corner that needs replacing with a couple of cut new planks.

My question is what's the black stuff? It feels like sticky, dense rubber but is hard and even a stanley knife does little damage.

I was wondering of a good way to remove it? Sand it? Heat gun it? Nitromors?

Cheers in advance.

35d0zle.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like roof and gutter adhesive. I'd say a very sharp chisel is your best bet. Forget about chemicals etc.

Could it be bitumen?
you could try white spirit if it is to get most of it off but may smudge and stain the wood up more.
though I did have success with a garden gate after roofers splashed it.. (assuming that stuff in the pic is bitumen)

Cheers guys, I think it is the roof adhesive. Great job whoever threw this down! :LOL:

My main worry is I want to retain as much of the original wood as possible. Don't think white spirit will have much effect. I'll try belt sanding it and hope it falls away.

Sponsored Links
Sharp chisel mate. Try it.

You were right mate, the only thing that worked was this and a floorboard saw.

This stuff was SO hard to remove! When it dries it's like a cross between rubber and lead! The chiseling and sawing were mainly to smash the unwanted planks to pieces, didn't make much impact on the adhesive itself. I'd love to ask what was going through the previous owner's head when he put this stuff on there.

Cheers for the replies. Here's the finished pic. Need to source some 5 inch think wood planks tomorrow.

5d4hau.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back