how do I remove old sticky foam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've some old (and irreplaceable!) rollerblades. The blade/wheels detach and you can walk in the boots. The foam joining the sole to the boot has degraded over the years and is now soft and sticky. I want to remove it and then fill with some black no-nails CT1. The problem is removing every last bit of the foam so I can ensure the CT1 has enough clean surface area to stick to. I've tried methylated spirit, white spirit, soapy wipes. The only thing I can think of left is to either rub in sand which hopefully will bind with the foam. The texture of the foam (when squashed) is like a sticky putty, like blue tack. Any ideas how best to get rid of it for a clean finish?

KYED3ZM.jpg

yaCLkf7.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Maybe try Big Wipes they are good at cleaning lots of things off or perhaps (carefully) silicone remover.
I doubt it will last long I used CT1 to glue the toe that was flapping on some old working trainers but it gave up after a few wears.

Not usually Soluble, remove with sharp blade then sandpaper, contact adhesive is better for footwear .

@footprints and @foxhole thanks, sorry I should have said the sole and boot is held together with a metal plate from underneath the sole (which the blades then attach to) so all I need is something relatively flexible that will fill in the gap and stop the sole flapping about.
Will give the sandpaper approach a go

Sponsored Links
@footprints and @foxhole thanks, sorry I should have said the sole and boot is held together with a metal plate from underneath the sole (which the blades then attach to) so all I need is something relatively flexible that will fill in the gap and stop the sole flapping about.
Will give the sandpaper approach a go
Fixall is a strong adhesive.

Have you tried acetone? That's pretty good vs a lot of things

Or as above, a very sharp blade

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back