How do I remove a black line from tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello wizards: At the back of our sink, in the kitchen, there is a real tile splash-back (behind the taps and underneath the window). Along the bottom of these tiles (where the bottom edge of the tiles meets the board in which the stainless steel sink sits), there is what is called an OG strip. This is an L-section plastic strip, which seals the corner between the board and the tiles. At the top edge of this strip, there is a flap that presses against the tiles (it's supposed to keep water from getting behind the strip, and rotting the raw edge of the board). Now, regularly, ever since this sink etc. was installed, I have applied anti-mould spray to the top edge of this strip (because splashes run down the tile-faces, washing tiny bits of dust and grease with them, and this can accumulate dirt on the line where the flap presses against the tiles. (I hope that all this has been explained clearly.)

However, despite my spraying the anti-mould, then wiping with a clean cloth, a black line has developed along much of the line where the strip presses. To remove it, I have applied plenty of anti-mould spray, bleach etc., but the line will not go away. I have even tried gently scraping the tiles at that point, with a steel blade, but the mark cannot be shifted.

Because it looks (and possibly is) dirty, I really would like to be able to remove this line of black, but have tried everything I know, without success.

Can anyone suggest anything that would certainly remove it? By the way, I am writing from the UK, so anything suggested would need to be purchasable there.

With thanks in advance, for a killer solution,
A.W.

Sponsored Links
alwaysworried, good evening.

That "L" shaped see through plastic strip is a pain [if I understand your description correctly??]

What I would consider is to cut off the plastic trim, clean the gap, dry the gap and using mastic simply run a bead of same across the gap.

A possible simple [cheap] effective resolution???

Ken.

alwaysworried, good evening.

That "L" shaped see through plastic strip is a pain [if I understand your description correctly??]

What I would consider is to cut off the plastic trim, clean the gap, dry the gap and using mastic simply run a bead of same across the gap.

A possible simple [cheap] effective resolution???

Ken.
And Good Morning to you, KenGMac. I'm afraid that your proposed solution won't do. (By the way, the strip is not see-through — it's white.) My problem is that I can't remove a black line of the ceramic tiles. And the flap must be retained, at all costs. Thanks for your input, anyway.
A.W.

Sponsored Links
i have used Cillit BANG black mould remover works well.

And easily available.

must admit i had assumed [incorrectly] that you had exhausted all such sprays

Ken

Why would you keep a scummy white piece of plastic causing so much trouble at all costs?

i have used Cillit BANG black mould remover works well.

And easily available.

must admit i had assumed [incorrectly] that you had exhausted all such sprays

Ken
Ah, something specific! Thanks for that, Ken. I shall buy some, as soon as possible.
Best,
A.W.

I think I get the picture
My sink was fitted and the the wall under the window then tiled.
The joint between the tiles and the worktop which the sink is fitted to was then sealed all along with silicone sealer
Is this similar
I think it’s the most universal way to seal and be cleanable as a fungus and mould resistance silicone is the one for that job
Mould may form but will come off easily with a proprietary mould spray and a small sink brush
Any help
Cheers
GEOF

I think I get the picture
My sink was fitted and the the wall under the window then tiled.
The joint between the tiles and the worktop which the sink is fitted to was then sealed all along with silicone sealer
Is this similar
I think it’s the most universal way to seal and be cleanable as a fungus and mould resistance silicone is the one for that job
Mould may form but will come off easily with a proprietary mould spray and a small sink brush
Any help
Cheers
GEOF
Geof: No this is not quite the same as yours — it's a separate plastic, L-section strip, which does away with any need for silicone sealant. However, I have tried mould remover (as I said at the beginning, this has been applied regularly, and does tend to clean up along the top of the flap). However, at one part (behind the taps), there is a section that has a black line. Not even neat bleach, or scraping with a blade, has removed it, and the anti-mould spray simply does not touch it. Thanks for your input.
A.W.

Geof: No this is not quite the same as yours — it's a separate plastic, L-section strip, which does away with any need for silicone sealant. However, I have tried mould remover (as I said at the beginning, this has been applied regularly, and does tend to clean up along the top of the flap). However, at one part (behind the taps), there is a section that has a black line. Not even neat bleach, or scraping with a blade, has removed it, and the anti-mould spray simply does not touch it. Thanks for your input.
A.W.

yes...sorry...i guess i thought what i thought and not what you said
cheers
geof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back