Whats this in my plaster...

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Renovating my 1930s semi and am slightly concerned about what I have found in some ceiling boards that are in the bathroom.

It seems to be full of a wiry fibre which I am hoping is just a binding product and not some kind of asbestos. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Thats a relief - theres no smaller fibres in it just those.

I was slightly concerned as half the kitchen ceiling fell on my head a couple of weeks back but I only just noticed those bits sticking out.

LIke gregers said or could be ox hair....

Sponsored Links
I agree with the lads, a clump of animal hair used to bind the mortar/plaster together.

I was slightly concerned as half the kitchen ceiling fell on my head a couple of weeks back but I only just noticed those bits sticking out.

You said that half the kitchen ceiling fell on your head a couple of weeks ago, and that there were NO smaller fibres in the plaster that fell, only the ones you pointed out. I can tell you now that the LACK of fibres in that ceiling plaster could have been a major factor as to why it fell,, nothing to bind it together.
I'm also confused when you described it as "ceiling boards"???

You said that half the kitchen ceiling fell on your head a couple of weeks ago, and that there were NO smaller fibres in the plaster that fell, only the ones you pointed out. I can tell you now that the LACK of fibres in that ceiling plaster could have been a major factor as to why it fell,, nothing to bind it together.

I meant no smaller fibres that could be asbestos, only the larger ones shown in the photo.

It collapsed because it wasn't supported on one edge and had got damp.

I'm also confused when you described it as "ceiling boards"???

They are small square boards that have been nailed to the ceiling and joints taped, like thick plasterboard.

Cheers for explaining m0t. I do remember using plasterboard "lath" years ago, which were 48"x16" but i've not come across the small square board type you mention. Have you got a photo of a larger piece of this board.

Cheers for explaining m0t. I do remember using plasterboard "lath" years ago, which were 48"x16" but i've not come across the small square board type you mention. Have you got a photo of a larger piece of this board.

They had a bull nose edge , put up with an eighth gap between them, so you did not have to scrim them?

We used to use them a lot in Guernsey in the early 80's ....

They had a bull nose edge , put up with an eighth gap between them, so you did not have to scrim them?

That's the ones Micilin, small narrow sheets. They were fixed across the the ceiling joists/wall studs. Each row of boards had staggered joints.. The only joints that were scrimmed (hessian scrim), were the ceiling/wall junction and the vertical internal wall corners. No other joints were scrimmed. We used a temporary spacer to keep the sheets between an 1/8" to 1/4" apart to allow the plaster to go up between the sheets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back