What's this type of cable called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Found loads of this stuff installed in an ex council property I'm working on. Looking at the rest of the installation I'm guessing it's from the 1970s? It's essentially normal PVC T&E with a helical metal covering wrapped around it. Does it have a proper name?

View media item 97922

Sponsored Links
looks like bespoke rat proof twin and earth.

The coil cover when chewed springs up cutting Mr Ratties cute little chops.

(From the picture under the coil it looks like plain jane white sheath twin and earth).

back in the 80's there was a similar stuff, but inside was flex,not T+E, we used it in plant rooms for things like fridge stats,
I recall it was called something like Armor flex

Sponsored Links
I've got a length of that in the garage. Somebody gave it to me when I bought an old car with Lucas P100 headlamps on a bar forward of the radiator. I have an idea it used to be used in workshops for vibrating machinery or where flex could be damaged by flying sparks, swarf and clumsy operators.

Armourflex sounds right to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back