Moving Inspection Chamber for Porch Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm extending my porch out to one side by a couple of metres so I can install a downstairs cloakroom.

The existing manhole/inspection chamber is right where the new wall is going to be so it needs moving.

At the moment, the pipework runs from the soil pipe along the end wall of the house to an inspection chamber which is at a depth of 500mm. From here, the pipework runs across the garden into a septic tank in the garden of the neighbouring property (this is marked by the blue lines in the embedded plan).

I need to move the IC approx 2 metres below its current position so I can extend the drain coming down from soil pipe but the drain running across the garden is at the wrong angle for the new location of the IC so I'm guessing I'll have to install a new pipe across the garden at a different angle and have another IC where it changes direction (close to or on the boundary with the neighbour).

Is this overkill? Is there an easier way of doing this without installing another IC? Any comments would be most welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That looks like the best option.
Other options would be to replace the manhole with a 90degree bend and add rodding access before and after.
But you'll be addeding another flow in from the new toilet so you'd be better off having access.

Unless you have a mature garden it won't take long to dig lay and backfill. No need for an IC near boundary just the one at the corner.

Is moving it closer to the summer house not an option?

Why are your walls so thick, do you live in a fort?

Unless you have a mature garden it won't take long to dig lay and backfill. No need for an IC near boundary just the one at the corner.

I think the thing that confuses me is how I'm going to come off the existing pipe that runs across next door's garden. This is a straight run at the moment but I'll have to cut it and lay a new run that comes off at an angle so that the pipe drops down a couple of metres below where it does at the moment.
How do I do that in terms of joining the new pipe at an angle (which I'm guessing will be very slight angle)?

Sponsored Links
Just use a rubber connector, it's probably going to be a clay pipe so get one of these http://www.plastics-express.co.uk/u...c-clay-adaptor-28108-122-x-121-13729-p-pte346
Ok it's not as good as putting in a new IC but as long as you can rod it I highly doubt it'll cause you any problems.

Cheers - so long as it's ok with building control that looks good to me.

I suppose the other question is where to put the new join? The nearer to the IC, the less new pipe I have to lay but the greater the angle of the bend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back