Inspection chamber groundworks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just in the middle of sorting out the drain routing in my new extension groundworks. I currently have a very shallow brick inspection chamber that's sited right in the middle of my new rear porch.

I was intending replacing this with a plastic 3-entry IC, but then I wondered if there was anything more simple that I could do with a rodding eye in the porch floor, perhaps combined with another rodding point where the soil pipe to the new kitchen terminates.

I think the answer is probably no. In that case, do the black plastic circular types tend to have seals, or do I need one that explicitly states 'double sealed' etc?

Sponsored Links
Most of them have seals.

You could do away with it and have the pipes meet outside. You kitchen gully would be better outside too if you could move it.

The gulley is for upstairs. Strangely. In the photo below you can see the hopper with the 3 pipes : basin, bath, bidet. In to a drainpipe then in to the gulley.... Why didn't they just link them in to the soil pipe?

Sponsored Links
They'd never heard of one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-sp588bl-waste-manifold-black/40832

Can you change your piping so the soil pipe runs horizontal at ceiling level then goes vertical outside, after it traverses the wall of the new extension?

You need an ic when drains change direction unless it's a gradual bend you can get a rod round

You can improve the seal on a lid by liberal application of silicone type sealant, overlay cling film without many wrinkles, then put the lid on. The silicone will deform to the shape of the lid but ensure removability. Can also spray the lid with soapy water or apply Vaseline to inhibit bonding

You need an ic when drains change direction unless it's a gradual bend you can get a rod round

If I put one of those manifolds ah the top of the exist soil stack, then put a new rest bend at the bottom of the stack and had a straight run to IC2, could I then run two branches in to it to run soil pipes to both kitchens if I included rodding access in the kitchen using a 40mm plug?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is whether the branches would count as a change of direction?

Why didn't they just link them in to the soil pipe?

If you get a blockage it would overflow from the gully, if they were all into the SVP it would back up into the house.

I would join them all outside. Cjard's idea would be good to run the soil pipe to the outside wall above ceiling level. Otherwise renew the pipe directly to IC2 and as long as you don't push a sealing ring out and bed it right you will never have a problem on that section.

You don't need inspection chambers on all junctions, any decent gully will have an access point in it for a jetter, camera or rod.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back