How close to footings can I site inspection chamber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With new extension I need to connect soil pipe into existing underground pipe and I'd need a new inspection chamber where it connects (change of direction). I want to minimise the number of bends which would potentially mean that the IC would be within 1metre of the existing footings of the old house (the edge of the IC would be approx 650mm from the footing). Would this be okay if I concrete it in as per Document H section 2.25? The bottom of the IC would be approx 200mm lower than the footing.

Thanks

OB

Sponsored Links
Any new foundations will need to be lower than any drains within close proximity.
Other than that, your chamber can be as close as you like.

At 200mm lower but 650mm away, you should be ok. Theory suggests that the push from the foundations has a 45 degree influence upon the ground. 650mm away should eat it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Noseall. The extension is a piled slab. If I go through the piled slab, then the IC may be deeper into the ground and I may not have adequate gradient for the new drainage pipe to meet with the old pipe. I have therefore been considering to route the SVP 'around' the slab and through the wall (above the slab) instead with an additional access bend. Does anyone know if having what will essentially be 3 bends at the bottom of the SVP be permitted? I'll have an access bend and an IC. My assumption is that I will have too much friction with these vertical bends and I don't want to be getting my rods out each time someone goes to the toilet!!
IMG-20150715-00402.jpg

Don't think that plan will get past building control- why not have the stack pipe outside for a straight drop to the rest bend. Or for that matter through the slab then rest bend etc etc- don't understand the 'chamber may be deeper' bit.

don't understand the 'chamber may be deeper' bit.

If I route the pipe under the slab, in order to meet up with existing drainage pipe the IC will have to go in deeper into the ground. there's also something in the regs that state any pipe under a slab needs to have 300mm clearance (so I would have to dig deeper). If I route through the wall, then the Ic can be a bit higher to get the perfect gradient to meet up with the old drainage pipe.

My BCO said she was happy with my new proposed root through the wall also. I didn't want to have the pipe on the outside - I dislike external pipes - they usually fade and the wife would just reverse into it - then I'd really be in the s**t!. I'm spending a lot on cladding the walls also, so seems to be a shame to have some ugly pipe alongside it.

Thanks for the comments though!

Well I sit corrected- fair comment on outside stack pipes not being pretty and if BCO is happy then hopefully its because sh's seen the same trick elsewhere & it has worked. My worry would be if it was a ground floor toilet- 1st floor or higher would be much less of a potential issue. Have fun with it all

Thanks OBND! Yes, guess there's more of a surge from 1st floor, so hopefully no issues. I don't want to be rodding every time someone has a cr@p!

It's more about compressing air @ the bottom of the stack which can blow a seal IF you had a downstairs WC on the stack. You haven't so carry on . I understand OBND's comment about a ground floor WC on it's own but I have one that does a similar convoluted route to a nearby manhole- no problems at all(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back