What's worse than your car being flooded to its windscreen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finding you've been given a parking ticket too...! :rolleyes:

You couldn't make it up!

Three motorists had insult added to injury as parking inspectors fined them as weekend floodwater receded from their stricken vehicles in York.

The cars were parked on a riverbank in York city centre and fell victim to the rising River Ouse after torrential rain.

They were flooded up to their windscreens with filthy water, but when the flooding subsided yesterday a parking inspector wasted no time issuing tickets because they were on double yellow lines.

article-0-088819F6000005DC-540_468x377.jpg

Shaun Binns, landlord of the Lowther pub, which was also affected by rising river levels, said he was astonished to see tickets on the windscreens.

He said: 'Normally you get people parking on there but they move them in time to avoid flooding. But in this case I think the river's come up very quickly and they must have been caught out.

'There are double yellow lines down there and I suppose you could say if you're not allowed to park there then you shouldn't, but the inspector must have seen the cars had been flooded and you'd think they'd have a bit of compassion.'

article-0-08881AA6000005DC-371_468x426.jpg

Stranded: Pictured from the bridge visible in the top picture, the cars were flooded with dirty river water, but that didn't deter an eager parking inspector

The owners have yet to appear to retrieve their sodden vehicles. A council spokesman claimed parking attendants had been 'unaware' some cars had been flooded when issuing the tickets.

She added if the drivers provided evidence their vehicle had been submerged, they could successfully appeal against the ticket.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-parking-tickets.html?ITO=1708&referrer=yahoo

Sponsored Links
I trust that the owers of the car paid the river and waterway agency the going rate for using the river, and the owner of the land "mooring" fees.

be fair, the first set of tickets they got for parking illegally had been washed away by the flood water.. he was just re-issuing them so they had chance to pay the fine before it got to court..

Sponsored Links
a parking inspector wasted no time issuing tickets because they were on double yellow lines.

Shouldn't have parked there in the first place, with double yellow lines meaning NO PARKING!
The drivers deserved the tickets.

No sympathy at all.

Not a lot of sympathy as they were parked illegally surely!

I thought as I started reading it was a pay and display and their tickets had run out which would have been rather too harsh, but they shouldn't have been parked there in the first place as it happens :rolleyes:

Yeah but they couldn't see the Double yellow lines when they parked there coz of the water! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Shouldn't have parked there in the first place, with double yellow lines meaning NO PARKING!
The drivers deserved the tickets.

No sympathy at all.

Ditto.

Life is tough.

Just like lazy yummy mummies and daddies that always park on yellow zig zags outside schools.

Morons. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Back