Whats worth taking to the scrap yard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Im gutting a house at the moment. Going to have a fair bit of copper so if anyone knows if prices are high or low at the moment id be interested. But theres also a fair bit of basic metals. All the radiators and a fridge, stove, washing machine etc. So as they are big and heavy does anyone know if its worth taking them. I woulnt know if a fridge is worth 5p or £5?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Fridge will be mostly plastic and insulation, washing machine glass and cement.

Copper and brass prices are pretty good recently

Sponsored Links
To be honest , if it is a one off it is more bother than its worth no matter how tight you are, you will have to take photo ID and bank account details, gone are the days you just turn up and get a few quid, they wont take a fridge or a washing machine, you would be better finding a number for the local travelling Irish man for want of better words who will uplift it all for free

No scrap operator will take fridges or freezers without a charge, these have to be processed through the correct channels to remove the gas etc. Washing machines etc are accepted for Frag Feed, but you'd need at least a tonne for anyone to be interested. Non Ferrous is bought by the kilo so worth checking prices and taking that along if you've enough to warrant the journey.

Copper's worth a lot more than brass so separate the two metals. If you don't it'll all be classed as brass.
Council will remove fridge, washing machine and cooker (at a price)
If you get a travelling scrappy to uplift them you never know which farm track they might end up on

I'm always (pleasantly) surprised with what I get (lead, copper and alu) - from my house, I've made well over £200 so far and the house keeps on giving. The ferrus generally covers my fuel and the £1 they charge to pay into my bank.

I did part ex some lead against some new flashing rolls with a guy who made his own bullets!

Thanks everyone. There's a fair bit of copper including a cylinder.
I take it the council dump charges for appliances these days?
On a slightly differ point. The bath is metal bit not heavy and won't break up so I'm at a loss to what is made of. Any ideas?

The bath is metal bit not heavy and won't break up so I'm at a loss to what is made of. Any ideas?
Probably pressed steel
You could always use it as a garden pond after digging a suitably sized hole - you can vary the internal depth by building up the inside with bricks or blocks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back