What's wrong with this sign?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any Welsh speakers on here? Just had a good giggle seeing this item on TV on ITV news:

Swansea Council hit a problem when it was looking to halt heavy goods vehicles using a road near an Asda store in the Morriston area.

All official road signs in Wales are bilingual, so the local authority e-mailed its in-house translation service for the Welsh version of: "No entry for heavy goods vehicles. Residential site only".

They received an email straight back and officials set the wheels in motion to create the large sign in both languages.

The notice went up and all seemed well - until Welsh speakers began pointing out the embarrassing error.

_45162744_-2.jpg

Anyone know or want to guess without looking it up?

Sponsored Links
Bryd is mind or heart isn't it?

What's that got to do with it, look you?

The clue is in the article:
the local authority e-mailed its in-house translation service for the Welsh version of: "No entry for heavy goods vehicles. Residential site only".

They received an email straight back and officials set the wheels in motion to create the large sign in both languages.

The welsh on the sign actually reads:
"I am not in the office at the moment. Please send any work to be translated."
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ninebob!

That's quite ridiculous, what you're actually suggesting is that the need for Welsh signage in Wales is being totally undermined by the the lack of Welsh-speaking Welsh-people to write them let alone read them!!!!

I can't believe it, what the hell is the Welsh Assembly doing? You'll be telling me next they're spending British tax pounds on exclusively Welsh related initiatives that are ill-advised and unnecessary. I don't believe it Doddy Yach y da!

Sponsored Links
It's ridiculous but true - it was on ITV news this evening and I found the item (and the picture above) on the BBC news site!

so this was in a part of Wales where the council officials don't speak Welsh, the Sign maker doesn't speak Welsh, and the people fitting the sign don't speak Welsh?

Makes me wonder what the point is then.

...furthermore, the tw@ who does the translation doesn't have the courtesy to have a bilingual out-of-office reply? Why the heck not? He knows a lot of his work will be for non-Welsh speakers.

What did you lot expect, you should have realised by now council workers are not very bright. :oops:
To pass their job selection process you have either to very corrupt (senior positions) or totally thick (lower grades) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

that must explain why I didn't get the job at West Sussex CC :(

Is the arrow pointing to the residential site, or is it telling the driver to turn left. :confused:

the thing the welsh hate about england is that its attched to wales :LOL: the joc#s think the same ,they would love to iris :LOL: :LOL: go on make me have :LOL: it

soz,that last post should have ended with they would love to be irish, and have ther own little islands :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back