Whats your advice regarding Stihl FS 120 Brushcutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Ive seen a Stihl Brushcutter FS120 for sale at what i think is a cheap price £70
He has advised that he hasnt used it for a while BUT it starts & runs.

Are these a good buy for long grass / weeds / slightly style shrubs etc than the noraml DIY home general strimmers out there.

Im not that gifted for storage with those bull bars on so i will probably remove them & set up something else.

What are your thoughts on this item

Attachments

• EaseUS_2023_05_21_12_03_34.jpg
    EaseUS_2023_05_21_12_03_34.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
If you lived near me and didn't want it I would buy it don't see them at that price.

Fill with fuel give a good run and the tank almost out.

Are these a good buy for long grass / weeds / slightly style shrubs etc than the noraml DIY home general strimmers out there.

When configured as brush cutters, they are more suited to the thicker stuff like bramble, than grass. but they work well, if a bit heavy, with a strimmer head fitted.

It's an excellent machine....being a genuine two stroke it needs to have plenty of compression to start happily.
If you have a cow horn bar then you need some sort of harness, unlike the D handle type.
The FS110 is the latest equivalent and it uses a Stihl 4-mix engine.
John :)

Sponsored Links
You can get a new one here, not the same model though.

Attachments

• IMG_0132.png
    IMG_0132.png
    667.6 KB · Views: 51
I collected the FS120 Tuesday & well happy with it, paid £70
I had ordetred some spares like carb, spark plug & air filter.

First thing i did when home was to take it apart & clean it also i do this so i know my way around for later on.
The spark plug & air filter are both new, so my items will now go in stock.

The strimmer on it is marked as Autocutter 36.2 & its huge,almost say 6 inch diameter.
Now for my questions.

Is the line just passed right through the head & then wind it all in ?
OR
Do you take the head apart & wind the line on like the old days ?

Do you roughly know line capacity in length,just trying to work out why is the head so large, only line capacity i can think of as to why.

How do i adjust the carb ?
Looking on the Stihl site it matches the one shown in attached image of which is advised as C1Q-S51C / C1Q-S36G
Looking at Number 14 / 36 its called IDLE SPEED SCREW / IDLE ADJUSTMENT SCREW

Thanks

I plan to remove the cow bars for the hoop handle.
I will also fit the Handle trigger then just in front of the engine,ive found a used one for which i should be able to adapt ok

Attachments

• EaseUS_2023_05_25_07_41_09.jpg
    EaseUS_2023_05_25_07_41_09.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 34

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back