Wheeled thing to drag stuff around

Unless you have totally flat access into you home [unlikely] a board dolly won't be of much use.

Right, so I've been looking at wheelbarrow-sized wheels and similar.
I haven't yet found anything suitable (in the local skips etc!) to use as an axle, though.

Sponsored Links
This is one I made earlier for moving materials down a very steep garden, 45 degree slope for some of the drop

Swival casters at the front and wheels on a rod axle at the back to cater for the steel slope. 12 mm plywood and some 2 by 2 timber
trolley_1.jpg trolley_2.jpg trolley_3.jpg
Worked but needed two people, one to steer it and the other to control the speed control by feeding the rope.

An update:

On Saturday I went to Screwfix and bought some wheels. They have a couple of different types of large wheels; the black and white ones are just wheels but the red and black ones include a bearing in the hub, making them easier to use. I bought a couple of these 200mm ones:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rubber-wheel-200mm-diameter/14176

I had a bit of 20mm steel conduit which they fit perfectly. I couldn't really find anything suitable to secure the ends with though; I tried hammering on a 1/2 inch plumbing fitting and it seemed solid until I actually tried using it.

I fitted the wheels to a piece of plywood from a skip, chosen to suit the width of the path to my front door.

The first use was this morning, for a timber delivery. I had been trying to get 3m lengths but I could only get hold of 4.8m, which made thigs more difficult; these wheels are fine for these cobbles but the timber was too close to the ground.

Next time I get timber I'll try to lift it further off the ground somehow, and also work out how to push or pull it from higher up.

I'll add some sort of uprights for the plasterboard delivery.

You could carry a little bundle of timber like that on your should? unless you have a disability.

Sponsored Links
Ha! Yes I'm weedy, but that's just part of the delivery. Just carrying it a few bits at a time is certainly an option.

Leaving it unattended there while I go back and forth is not ideal though.

I'm glad it came today as snow is forecast for tomorrow morning!

An update:

I had a bit of 20mm steel conduit which they fit perfectly. I couldn't really find anything suitable to secure the ends with though; I tried hammering on a 1/2 inch plumbing fitting and it seemed solid until I actually tried using it.

If you have any rod/allthread to hand you could use a piece straight through with a couple of 30mm plate washers each end and double lock nuts.

Yes, a lot of things come down to what you have "to hand" vs. having to buy a box of 200 plus a special tool....

Cheap sack barrow works well, couple bungee straps to attach it to one end of timber and drag it along,

Have a look in Homebase. They have 2 sizes of wheeled bogies.

Somewhat off topic as it's a different usage completely but here's one of two dollies I've made this week for tool cases. Painted them with water based primer and gloss since just to tart them up a little. Ply was out of a skip and casters were £9~ a set of 4, 2 locking rated up to 200kg off Shenzhen special eBay.

Attachments

• BR_ogrHAfhn.jpg
    BR_ogrHAfhn.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 114

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back