When and what to feed a new lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am after some advice on when and what to feed a lawn.

My garden has two parts, one of which I seeded a lawn on last autumn, which still has some weeds and brambles in and the other which has a lawn that has been established for years but has a quite a lot of weeds and clover in.

I have tried to read up on what should be done, but there seems to be contradicting advice, hence asking for some specific advice for my situation.

At the end of April I fed both parts of the lawn with Evergreen 4 in 1. It reduced the weeds in the new lawn but didn't seem to do much on the more established lawn.

I still have a load left so was going to feed again, with it. The instructions say to leave 3 months between feeds (which I've done) but only to use twice a year. If I feed a second time with this, does that mean I should avoid any feed in the autumn, or should I just use a different (specific autumn feed which I believe focuses on feeding rather than killing the weeds.

Basically my questions are:

1. Should I feed again with 4 in 1 now?

2. If so, can I feed again later in the year, and if so, with what?

3. Am I ok to feed in the current hot weather if I give it a light spray with the hose on the night of spreading and a more through spray the following night? (with all the caveats on the instructions relating the the weather I find it hard to find an ideal time given you also need to avoid mowing several days before and after)

4. Do I need to treat my two parts of the lawn any differently given their history and current state?

5. Looking ahead, what is an ideal feeding/weeding pattern over the course of a year (e.g. 4 in 1 in April, 4 in 1 in July, Autumn feed in October).

Thanks you for any help you can give.

Lee

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't rely on a granular feed to kill weeds. It relies on grains sitting on broad leafs before dissolving. Just do a low dose evergreen now, and an autumn root feed later on. Spray the weeds with verdone seperately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back