When Bollards Attack

Sponsored Links
OUCH! How much is he going to be fired?

I for some reason needed to remove my rear wheel from my mk1 Fiesta, and it needed 150lb/ft to remove it via a scaff bar...

Unfortunately, it wasn't done up to the same torque, and err...fell off a bit, along with the brakes.

So I get the car recovered, loaded on the back of a recovery truck..I'm riding shotgun, suddenly the vehicle gets lighter, as my car just fell off the back of it. The exhaust was squashed flat.

i did similar in my orion. steering went odd on an exit from a roundabout. stopped to find all 5 bolts loose, one with three turns left in in the hub. :eek:

still no idea how it happened to this day as i hadn't had the wheel off for some months. i can only assume i hadn't tightened the extended wheel bolts back on, took a while to loosen off though.

on the subject of bollards, i have seen this happen many times in person, we used to have some bollards where we used to live, a notorious rat-run people used to try and nick through behind the car in front, with disastrous and hilariously funny consequences. i helped a bloke put his bumper in the boot of his car whilst he was crying. i let him through the bollards with my key and he stopped a few yards down the road, fuel line was ruptured. :LOL:

My first car was a Triumph Dolomite. A couple of months after I bought it, I had to remove one of the wheels for some reason. As I was undoing the wheel nuts, I wondered what the white stuff between the nuts and the studs was.

Turns out that the threads on the studs had worn, and the previous owner had used plumbers' PTFE tape to help keep the wheel nuts on. I had previously had the car on the motorway. Very scary!

On the subject of the AA, I would never join them. This is because, if they tow you, they use Mickey Mouse trailers or towing bars. Green Flag is much better. If they tow you, they use proper tow trucks.

Sponsored Links
Back