When is a boundary not a boundary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When is a boundary not a boundary?

If directly below the external wall of a property is the pavement i.e. end of Terrace, I dare to presume you can’t terminate over the pavement as you have to be 600mm from a boundary.

What’s the scenario if you are intending to locate the boiler on the first floor of the property or in the loft and terminate through the gable end still above the pavement?

Is the boundary a vertical line upwards irrespective of height so termination anywhere on that wall is not acceptable? Or is there a height above which it is allowed. You haven’t got a choice other than to terminate over a boundary if you are in a block of flats on the 7 floor.

In fact, even if you are on the ground floor of a block of flats you potentially can’t but terminate beyond your boundary.

Anyone looked into this to get an official line?

Sponsored Links
Look around, you'll see that many others are terminated over the boundary...

Sponsored Links

Thanks. However, I see slot of people doing 90mph on the motorway that doesn’t mean the speed limit is 90. If you catch my drift.

Anyone know the official line?

I suspect the consensus would be a practical approach to this. So maybe terminating on the ground floor over the boundary is a not acceptable but on floors above is ok. Or is it?

Would it not be down to local Council to decide, if the boundary is onto public footpath?.

Indeed..I checked with gas safe about flues over pavements.for CP12s...In reality.....not a big deal to them it would appear..and in reality what can you do.

Indeed..loads.If you stick your neck out and condemn everything dangerous in CP12 etc..you end up with feeling of job well done.....no customers and no money

I Live in a terrace, so I front onto pavement.
However I'm sure that in my deeds I own a part of it, after all my front step extends 8" onto it and the coal hole a good 18".
Maintenance of it is the highways though.

Indeed..loads.If you stick your neck out and condemn everything dangerous in CP12 etc..you end up with feeling of job well done.....no customers and no money

I wouldn’t stick my neck out and condemn anything in CP12 purely on boundary distances. It’s not a gas safety issue so not relevant. It’s a building control issue. Unless of course the plume is affecting other people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back