Flues and boundarys...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so the space in which your garden is and any land u own at the sides of your house is your boundary.. but above your roofline?

Ie..stepped terraces on a a hill. combi in the loft on the wall which outside has an external surface above the nextdoors roof as sits higher up on its foundations.

flue through the wall over next doors roof to clear open air. Neighbour complains but in my view do u own the sky above your house and thus can u stop planes flying over it?> I mean where do u stop?

In no way do products exit onto roof tiles or ridge tiles either, and as flue is an alpha can be turned to angle 45' upwards in any case. No roof windows or veluxs in sight.

Apparently he has rang corgi but they wanted nothign to do with it.. i hope :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If you neighbour is objecting, on what grounds? You should consider that he might want to extend or alter his roof, or simply like to sunbathe on the roof, in which case your flue gases might reasonably be considered a problem. Can't you use a vertical flue and terminal?

Boundary's exist as imaginary lines vertical and horizontally as well :eek:

If it's set up how I think it is, your terminal exiting above your neighbours roof space, then I think your on dodgy teritory.
IF EVER they decided to fit a velux window/ dormer etc then they would be within their rights to get you to remove it.
If you want you can try to bluff it out, but it's still your problem in the long run.

Sponsored Links
Safe to say you are goosed on this one.

I think you should bite the bullet and tell your neighbour that you will be getting someone round to sort out a vertical flue terminal - that still needs to be at least 300mm form the boundary if I am remembering correctly.

Dan_Robinson said:
..vertical flue terminal - that still needs to be at least 300mm form the boundary if I am remembering correctly.
Or possibly more, if it's a condensing boiler producing a visible plume which could drift across the boundary, depending on wind conditions.

well thats the thing, it is over 300mm above the their roof level, and as i said at what point does the boundary stop vertical :?: :idea: :idea:

They will get more products from the neighbours chimney stack on the otherside but as a vertical pot they overlook it- ie not on their boundary so are blinkered.

thanks for the comments guys really appreciated.

As your terminal extends over his property he can sue you for trespass, not only because of the flue itself but also the products of combustion coming out of it.

trespass, now thats strong imo. So for planes flying oiverhead are they trespassing too? Justv trying to see what the limit is, well if it needs changing it needs changing. Not gona tell the neighbour to go jump at any rate.

as sunbathing on a council roof with pitch of 60' i doubt it :LOL:

Whilst you own the LAND you only have the right to extend upwards if its not going to infringe any other activity.

Those twin brothers at Merry Hill wanted to build a 1500 foot tower but failed because of air navigational obstruction clearances.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back