Flue venting over boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A neighbour is venting a new boiler flue through their side wall (which sits on the boundary) into our side path above 2.1metres high. We asked them not to but they did it anyway. We have asked building regs to investigate as this is a new side extension being done under building control. We are waiting to hear from them but are interested to know if others think they can vent into our property like this? It is our path and our house is about 1.5 metres away from the flue. Our house is not within close proximity but it is none the less our land it vents into.

If building regs say it is allowed we assume they would still need our permission as we own the space above our path. If we wanted to extend to the boundary in the future we would have to remove the flue and block its vent completely.

Previously they had said they would relocate the flue to go through the roof but have not done this. We have written proof stating we have explicitly not given permission for the flue via a letter and text in addition to verbally refusing.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you know if the local planning department would consider this a breach of planning as this is part of an extension under a full planning application they approved?

Planning/BC should get them to re-site it. I would construct a shed in front of it to stop it working, they will soon get it shifted.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you know if the local planning department would consider this a breach of planning as this is part of an extension under a full planning application they approved?
I doubt it, but building control might have an issue. Perhaps also contact Gas Safe, even if the flue was entirely on their side of the boundary, there are clearance distances which need to be complied with, generally 600mm from flue to boundary.

They have broke building regs cannot be flued over a boundary even with your permission 600mm to boundary minimum.
Gas safe can also sanction the installer and make them fit it to standards so inform them .
But there is no danger whatsoever to you

No, absolutely not permitted even if it's a replacement of existing in the same location.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks everyone. Sounds like we can deal with this via Building Control or Gas Safe. We don't know the name of the installer but I guess Gas Safe can make their own enquiries with the neighbour if we report the installation address.

Thanks again.

UPDATE: The neighbour has now had the flue moved and taken down the scaffolding so we can see the new wall without obstruction. To our amazement the neighbour has still left a small copper pipe that bends back on itself protruding from the wall over the boundary. I am told this is most likely a vent for a pressure relief valve for the boiler. See picture.
1673527316017.png

Why would they think leaving that pipe over our property will be accepted when the flue wasn't!! :mad:

Does anyone know if a boiler pressure relief valve vent is allowed to vent like this (on to others property) under building or Gas Safe regs? We have asked the building inspector but not had a response to date and have arranged to meet the neighbour on Monday.

We have also noticed the roof of the two storey side extension and now the single storey rear extension protrude 3 inches over the boundary on to our side. This is visible now the scaffold is down and the tiles are on. See the following picture. I assume this is also not permitted as the brick wall is the edge of the boundary and everything this side of the brick is our property?

1673527165952.png

I'm not a builder but, I think technically/legally nothing whatsoever is supposed to breach the boundary line. This includes things such as downspouts, gutters, vents etc
I think you right about the pipe being a PRV and, even though it appears to breach the line, it is doubled back to disperse against their wall. Not sure how much of an issue this is for you, especially as it seems to be quite high up. As you say, if you build an extension then it may be in the way and have to be moved at a future date anyway.

I assume this is also not permitted as the brick wall is the edge of the boundary and everything this side of the brick is our property?
As above, if the wall is the boundary then nothing should overhang. How can you prove that though? If you are 50mm off then the neighbour may be ok.

The flue would have constantly vented a visible plume over your property and needed to be moved. It should not have been there and the neighbours have moved it to comply. The pressure relief pipe may never discharge and if it does, it will probably only drip down their wall. The roof tiles overhang by 3" way above head height. Is that a big deal? Are you always going to look up at that wall and feel offended? Probably says more about you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back