boiler flue too close to dormer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We are having a loft conversion with a dormer built and we are concerned regarding the proximity of the flue to our dormer wall. A couple of months ago, our neighbor moved their boiler to the loft with the flue going out their roof. At the time, we queried how close the flue was to the boundary, but was told it was within the boundaries.

I spoke to our neighbor and he said the boiler directions say that there should be 500mm from the flue. We are about 350mm. The dormer is a standard dormer at boundary. It appears that they did not place the flue correctly. His plumber said it is not a problem for him, but we may have slow deterioration of the dormer (i.e. implying that this is our problem to fix).

Is this correct? For the sake of neighbor relations we'd like to understand our options and proceed carefully. Who do follow up on this? Building control or this gas regulations? If a kit is required to change the flue what are the general costs on this and if the plumber's error is it his responsibility to fix? I hope this question makes sense. I appreciate your guidance.

Sponsored Links
If its correctly installed not within 300mm of the boundary then you then build a dormy then its up to your builder to make sure clearances from flue is correct as your dormer wasnt there before flue was.
Or pay to have next doors flue re configured

thank you for your responses.

I went up to measure the distance and it is at 300mm. Any idea of the cost for having the flue changed to going straight up (at the moment is comes out of the roof and then has vents all around it) or change to a horizontal to shoot outwards (not towards our structure)?

I understand that we are building and want to take care. However, if the plumber has not followed guidelines than I'd like to know that also.

What is the issue of the flue hitting our house? Their will be tiles on that side. Is it the chance of Carbon Monoxide coming into the house?

Sponsored Links
I went up to measure the distance and it is at 300mm. Any idea of the cost for having the flue changed to going straight up (at the moment is comes out of the roof and then has vents all around it) or change to a horizontal to shoot outwards (not towards our structure)?

Until you post a photo we are not going to be ale to know what you have there.

It sounds as if the flue is exhausting horizontally which may not be correct.

Regardless, if their flue is incorrect it is not your concern and there is nothing that anyone will do about it now.

Tony

Sorry for the delay, I was out enjoying the weather. I have taken a couple of pictures. a close up and then one from afar, which may not show you much due to the scaffolding. Thanks again...

An interesting situation, not AFAIK clearly covered by the standard diagrams illustrating permitted and non-permitted flue termination positions.

there are two issues: products of combustion entering your property (through the dormer window) and the proximity to the new dormer cheek interfering with the combustion performance of your neighbours boiler.

I don't think either will be a problem.

I believe 600mm is the standard clearance from a vertical balanced flue terminal to a velux window horizontally adjacent: it looks like there is 600mm to your window.

I don't think that your neighbours boiler with a fanned-draught balanced flue with air intake and fume output so close together will be affected by any pressure fluctuations caused by wind turbulence in the proximity of the dormer cheek. And if it did, its your neighbour's problem, not yours. His plumber should not have sited the flue so close to the boundary line where there was a possibility, albeit remote and scarcely forseeable, of a structure being built there.

I'm willing to be corrected if others disagree.

There are three dimensions to be complied with.

The distance of 300 mm away from the boundary, this is usually taken to be to the centre line of the party wall and the nearest part of the flue. That is probably achieved.

Most of those flues need 600 mm from any wall, that might not be achieved but is only a problem for the boiler user.

Then the distance from a velux window. I thought that was 1200 mm ?? Probably not relevant in this case.

Regardless, products of combustion should not be able to enter your new windows!

Did you serve a party wall notice?

Did an architect fail to notice the flue?

First time I have seen scaffolding supported on a roof like that. Makes me wonder what prevents it slipping down the slope!

Tony

Looks like a baxi flue terminal and they only ask for 300mm from terminal to an adjacent wall

If the flue was there before you started building your extension/dormer then it is up to you to ensure that the dormer is the required distance away from the flue, or you will cause a contravention of the boiler's installation instructions and will most likely invalidate the warranty. Imagine the situation - your neighbour has an in-warranty breakdown, the manufacturer's engineers come out and blame the failure on the flue's proximity to your dormer. Your neighbour would have a very good case for claiming the cost of the boiler repairs off you. You could, of course, ask your neighbour if they would be prepared to have the flue altered at your expense so that it is not too close to the dormer

Thank you for all the replies. Thankfully, I am in a good relationship with my neighbor so I will discuss with him.

Interesting about the scaffolding. I'll speak to my builder.

Where does your dormer rise up compared with the centre line of the party wall?

If the flue is more than 600 mm from the flue there should be no problem.

I am not convinced that your neighbour could legally sterilise development on your property because of the location of his flue. Although paying for it to be relocated might be required.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back