air vents on boundary wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Renovation of old property still going on next to me. The back wall of the property is our boundary wall and the side of our house is only 160cm away. Recently I discovered 2 holes had been made in the boundary wall ( their back wall). I asked what they were for as there was no consultation and eventually got the reply that they were for air vents.
I sighed a sigh of relief as I thought it was going to be for a gas flue. However the more I think about it the more cross I'm getting because the wall is SO close to our house and we have no idea what emissions are coming onto our land and close to our windows. Is it legal to put air vents in a boundary wall so close? The tiny space in between the two houses is our walkway to the back gate and where we keep our bins so is used quite a lot plus our lounge window and daughter's bedroom window directly opposite.

Sponsored Links
As long as the vents don't cause a nuisance then not an issue.

Personally I wouldn't think it was worth getting worked up about a couple of (extractor?) vents

Hello Myra :D
What height are these vents at?
I very much doubt they would be boiler flues....,much too close to your house.
John :)

Hi John,
No it's not a gas flue - we thought it was going to be but they have now asked for access to put one on their roof albeit on our side. The thing is we don't know what sort of air vents they are and what's going to come out and whilst I somewhat agree with you newboy if there are regulations to say NO vents should go on a boundary wall then they shouldn't be putting them there. All I want to know is whether it is allowed or not - or should no vents be put on a boundary wall. Isn't there a regulation that states nothing should be emitted - steam,gas air etc directly onto someone elses property?
Thanks John for replying. There is one at upper floor height and one at lower floor height so one is at about 2 and a half metres from the ground and the other is about 2 metres above that.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like they may be bathroom extractors Myra, or maybe one for a cooker hood?
If it's the former, I really wouldn't expect any issue as the output is very small.
A cooker hood is somewhat different as the smells may be unpleasant, but even so it wouldn't be on at 'inconvenient' times.
I'm sorry I just can't quote any regulations - if indeed there are any - but I'd certainly pop round with my most amicable smile and ask what's going on!
Regards

Ok John thanks as ever for your reassurance.
It's really one thing after another here as you know but hopefully, for once, this is nothing to worry about.
What would I do without you?! :D

is it a staggered wall placing there vent into your "air space"
or just near your property :?:

Big -all has beat me to it...... :p
Does the path to your bins belong to you? If it does then you have much more leverage here.
Certainly if it's a boiler flue, people can not discharge without your permission. Now we know it's not a boiler, but it's still your air space.

That's right Big-all and John -it's our path! The vents are going into the back of their house that runs the length of our path. Not only that but the wall is only 160cm away from our house and opposite our windows! The space in between is like a narrow walkway. The vents will not only look horrible from our windows but what ever is going to come out of them is aimed directly at us and going into our airspace

I can't quote the law, Myra and hopefully others will, but I'd certainly make your neighbours aware of your concerns.
I'm sure a solicitor could quickly advise you on what the neighbour can and can't do.

I just have a feeling in my bones that it isn't right. I can't speak to the "architect" because he is very evasive and has misled us over many things so far. It's been a nightmare but if someone could tell me that this is against legislation it would help give me the confidence to fight it.
Anyway thanks for all your help. ;)

Either way Myra, no one is entitled to mess with your property, architect or no......they may think they are gods gift but that isn't the case.
How about a short conversation with your solicitor?

Well it may come to that. It would help if we were told the facts as we are neighbours in very close proximity but because they just don't bother it creates worry and suspicion. They have taken advantage of us all the way through the project so that's why the worry is there.
Never mind! Time we moved!!
:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back