boiler flues and boundaries

Sponsored Links
I have had a closer look into this

On page 44 [pdf] or page 43 of the Part J 2002 document here It states that the distance from an opposing wall for a fanned flue can be as llittle as 300mm. If you read note 2 then this can sometimes be even smaller.

Another thing is that if their boiler is just over 5 years old even this would not apply and its a case of looking up the preceding 92 edition to see if there was anything in there.

I do feel from what you have told us so far that their claim is spurious and they just want you to buy them a new boiler. It seems as though they have been reading up on the party wall agreement and are using it as a tool to meet their ends.

Hopefully you can post some pics as already requested and some info on their boiler so we can have a better understanding .

Slugbabydotcom said:
.. page 43 of the Part J 2002 document here It states that the distance from an opposing wall for a fanned flue can be as little as 300mm.
Actually it says 600mm, line J of the table. And it says "to a surface or a boundary". Perhaps you're thinking of the horizontal distance to a corner?

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind that it also pg 214 of corgi manual October 2003, when discussing Room sealed terminal positions after 1st January 2001, states (which supports OP's position)

"In addition, the neighbour may also have plans to develop or build an extension upon their property, which may ultimately obstruct the flue outlet. When requested to install a gas appliance in these positions the customer should be advised of the consequences. Such installatiuons often offend neighbours who may contact local Planning or Environmental Health Officers who inturn may have powers under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to shut down an offending appliance"

Figure 104 on page 212 makes explicit the point that the boundary must be considered as though a future extension had been built, therefore the flue should be positioned as though your extension already existed.

Finally, overiding all of this is the fact that on page 213 again under the first category mentioned above, paragraph 4 advises "......... should not discharge products of combustion across neighbouring boundaries" For this condition to be met you would need in my opinion 2 meters minimum distance from the boundary for a flue firing directly at the boundary, even though the boiler of interest is unlikely to be a condensing boiler, the products of combustion remain though less visibly, and would most certainly have discharged across your boundary.

Your neighbour hasn't a hope in court I would ignore him/her, the issue isn't worth your breath.

.........And the fight is on...........Let`s see how many Saddoes can find out the most intriguing Gas figures & Regulations ..Ready boy`s :?: You may dive into your reference material........Wait for it.....NOW :D :D

Bambergaspipe said:
.........And the fight is on...........Let`s see how many Saddoes can find out the most intriguing Gas figures & Regulations ..Ready boy`s :?: You may dive into your reference material........Wait for it.....NOW :D :D

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Bambergaspipe said:
.........the most intriguing Gas figures & Regulations ..

It's just workaday knowledge for anyone fitting boilers these days, not intriguing or hidden rules, it is in the forefront of our minds.

Are you corgi registered because you talk as though you aren't?

The OP has a problem that might potentially cost him £3,000. He deserves mature help from people qualified to give it.

Paul Barker said:
Bambergaspipe said:

It's just workaday knowledge for anyone fitting boilers these days, not intriguing or hidden rules, it is in the forefront of our minds.

The OP has a problem that might potentially cost him £3,000. He deserves mature help from people qualified to give it.

come on paul he was only kidding, we do spout alot of regs and numbers now and again

:)

I think there may be a case to answer if there is a nusience caused, but that would be more against some one who has the fumes emitting on their property though

mind you, if I am right in my understanding of this here thread, makes you think WHY did the nieghbour not rise objects whilst the work was being done,

Why did the neighbour not raise objections during the planning application period, he/she must have noticed the bit of paper that must be displayed on the property that is to be extend boundary in clear view of passers by

methink the nieghbour is a conviving pillock mlud

Paul Barker said:
Bambergaspipe said:

We are all waiting for your Professional answer:cool:

chrishutt said:
Slugbabydotcom said:
.. page 43 of the Part J 2002 document here It states that the distance from an opposing wall for a fanned flue can be as little as 300mm.
Actually it says 600mm, line J of the table. And it says "to a surface or a boundary". Perhaps you're thinking of the horizontal distance to a corner?

Quite right you are Chris. I had Section H from Lagerkhans post on the brain when I made that post. I see sect J also has the proviso which may allow smaller distances.

thanks everyone - dead helpful

I suspect that as lot will depend on whether these regs are enforceable on existing boilders/installations (and if so, how old..).

There's a Party Wall Surveyor getting involved - so he should check this out. I'll post results on the site for everyone - but it looks like a head to head between building regs and Corgi regs in one corner, and Party Wall principles in the other. Who trumps who.... Hoping to compensate in part but not all.

I'm pretty sure that £3000 is steep for re-locating a boiler - even in London - as it sounds like the fault is choking of the flue not something mechanical that would kill the boiler and require a new one.

cheers

Be aware that the Party Wall Surveyor is a blood sucking leech !

They get details from Building Regs applications and contact the neighbour to offer a free "assessment and consultation".

Of course thats not really "free" but its paid for by the developer who has to meet the professional fees of the neighbour in considering the implications of the proposal.

Its YOU who will be paying for his involvement and their fees are bordering on the unreasonable. I think they start at about £600 for looking at the plans and advising on the obvious.

As an installer its difficult to see how fitting a new boiler would be as much as £3000. Just moving an existing one should be less than £800.

Tony

The worst case you should have to pay for would be around 1-1.5 days labour and a new flue. £500 tops :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back