Siting of a gas boiler flue?

Tony, I'm going to take a late night, feeling tired and unwell chance to be pedantic! You correctly say the 600mm Reg refers to an opposing wall (actually says opposing surface) but the boundaries are treated as such as one could be put there. Same applies to along the boundary, ie 300mm from internal/external corner -should it be put there.
Worcester show a boundry on their diagram with the reference to 'opposing surface'. Vaillant quotes BS 5440-1 re the '2m from opening in building opposite' and 'are not directed to discharge across a boundary'. How far would that be I wonder? 2.5m (not mentioned) would cover it perhaps or do we need a 'range' for each boiler?
Seems to me that ODPM guidelines have caused much confusion and the sooner they give us some updated Regs the better.
The MI's by the way are for a 40CDi and Ecotec 831 which I think are their latest releases?

Sponsored Links
Another point which has been touched on but not followed up is that the flue and, presumably, a condensate pipe both constitute trespass. So does the condensate discharge and the flue gas as they are both being forcefully discharged on your property. I don't think your verbal agreement to a hole being drilled could be construed as an agreement to having a flue and condensate pipe on your property and from what you say the hole is bigger than they said and in a different position. So i don't think you did consent. Anyway as whatever consent you gave was verbal, I see no problem in your now withdrawing that consent and asking for the complete removal of the equipment. If you don't raise a complaint, or come to some arrangement to agree a fee for this trespass, you will eventually (12 years if I recall correctly) lose your right to object and your neighbour will acquire a lawful right to continue, by your neglect, meaning that you cannot obstruct his right with an extension, shed and so on. Then there is the question of access for maintenance - further loss of your rights. Where does the condensate discharge?
You don't want to agree to a motley collection of pipes, bends etc. on your side taking the flue gas back to his side of the boundary, it's just not in your interest. You just want the whole lot taken away, thank you very much, in my view. All this said assuming you are the owner. If you are a tenant, refer the whole thing to your landlord who will not want his rights eroded.

Just to round off the saga of the flue. Firstly thanks for all those that helped out with advise. Secondly, the flue has now been re-sitied and is causing us no problems. It did cause a tiny bit of friction but it was worth it to be able to breath when we went out the front door!!

HI
Can anyone help me. My neighbour built a double extension at the back of his house 4 inc from the boundary line. He told me today he is putting in a kitchen and duel gas and electric range. 8 gas rings. He said he isputting in a vent in the extension wall. Which runs and is inside my garden. He said he will put a vent in this wall so the fumes from his cooker vents into and over my garden by my windows. Is he allowed to do this. Please help as he is doing it next week.

Sponsored Links
How rude. This same man has put a combi boiler in his loft two days ago. Since he has done this one of my bedrooms alams keeps going off. Its going off now and i have just check and his bloiler is on. I have a 3 week old baby in this house.
What with this other thing he is putting in. When I say its in my garden, i I will be able to touch it and it will be in my garden. Right by my windows.

So you tell me why my alarm is going off?? Never gone off before he started playing with his heating??

Jenny, you will have to stop playing a neurotic female and try to be objective.

Would you like to explain just why your burglar alarm is sounding in your bedroom?

Or is it your baby alarm?

Or any other alarm for that matter?

To enable us to consider the situation properly, we would need to know the layout between the neighbours boiler, its flue and your property including the windows and any other openings?

Do you dislike this neighbour? Is he of a different ethnic origin/religion/colour/class ?

Has your husband discussed any of these issues rationally with him?

To come to any conclusion we would need much more information on the technical aspects.

Tony

YOU ARE SUCH A RUDER PERSON. I AM NOT A THICK FEMALE OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT.

THE ALARM THAT IS SOUNDING IS A CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM AND YES IT IS SOUNDING AND YES HIS BOILER IS ON THE PARTY WALL ABOVE THIS BEDROOM.
FOR YOU INFO THE GAS MAN CAME OUT LAST NIGHT AND CHECK MY BOILER AND ITS FINE. BUT I HAVE CARBON MONOXIDE COMING INTO THAT BEDROOM.
SO THE GAS MAN TURNED OFF MY NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOURS GAS AND AFTER A HOUR THE ALARM STOPPED AND ALL WAS CLEAR. HE LEFT IT OFF ALL NIGHT AND THE ALARM NEVER SOUNDED.
HE CAME BACK THIS MORNING AND TURNED ON NEXT DOOR AND STARTED HIS BOILER AGAIN. WITHIN 10 MIN MY ALARMS IN MY HOUSE WENT OFF AGAON AND ARES TILL GOING OFF.
ALSO TWO PEOPLE WHERE SICK AND HAD HEADACHE IN MY HOUSE YESTERDAY.

NOW THE GAS IS SAYING THAT THIS IS NOT COMING FROM MY HOUSE AT ALL BUT NEXT DOOR AND AS MY DAUGHTER HAS A 3 WEEK OLD SON I FEEL IT BEST TO GET IT CHECKED. I DID AND THE GAS MAN CAME UP WITH THE SAME RESULTS AS I.

ALSO I AM NOT MARRIED AS I GOT RID OF MY EX (AGILE) BECAUSE HE SPOKE TO ME JUST LIKE YOU HAVE DISRESPECTFUL.
SO JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR TO YOU.

I WILL TYPE IT SLOW AS YOU DONT SEEM TO UNDERSTAND.
THE ALARM IN MY HOUSE GOING OFF WHEN NEXT DOOR BOILER COMES ON IS A CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM AND NONE OF THE ABOVE YOU MENTIONED.

I AM 50 AND I DO KNOW THE DIFFIRENCE BETWEEN THESE ALARMS

NO WORRIES AS I BRITISH GAS IS ON TO IT NOW AND THE COMPANY WHO FITTEN NEXT DOOR BOILER IS TRYING TO FIND IT AS I TYPE.
BUT THANKS FOR THE NEGATIVITY AND ASUMING IM A IDIOT.

JUST FOR THE RECORD I GET ON WITH ALL MY NEIGHBOURS INCLUDING THE ONE NEXT DOOR. BUT THE OTHER PEOPLE UP HERE DONT TALK TO THE ONE NEXT DOOR AS NO ONE LIKES HIM
I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ADD I AM A EASY GOING PERSON AND I DID HAVE A WOD WITH HIM AND HE BASICALLY TOLD ME TO F--- O---

SO I WENT OT THE GAS BOARD AND IT TURNS OUT I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG.

FUNNY HOW YOU JUMP TO ALL OF THIS.........INTERESTING

why are you tagging onto a thread over the best part of 5 years old?

Here is my take on this strange post

You have a CO alarm going of for quite a while yet you do nothing about it and come on to ask a question about a wall vent then only mention the alarm afterwards.
Your neighbour who tells you to F off allows gasman in to turn them off and back on again next day.

Emergency service providers would not return visit to a job like this the next day

GAS MAN TURNED HIM OFF BECAUSE I HAD THE ALARM GOING OFF. HIS BOILER WAS ONLY FIRED UP TWO DAYS AGO WHEN MY ALARM WENT OFF. I HAVE DONE SOMETHING ABOUT IT AND THE GAS MEN WAS HERE ALL NIGHT TRYING TO FIND WHERE IT WAS COMING FROM.
THE GAS MAN TURNED HIM OFF AND HE CALLED A GAS FITTER TO TURN HIM BACK ON.....NOT THE GAS BOARD.
WHEN IT WAS TURNED ON AGAIN MY ALARMS WENT OFF AGAIN SO THE GAS BOARD TURNED HIM OFF AGAIN.

NOW THE COMPANY WHO TURNED HIM BACK ON HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THE GAS COMPANY ARE LOOKING AT IT AND NOT TO TURN HIM BACK ON UNTIL HIS BOILER IS CHECKED AND MINE WAS.

I HAVE SORTED THE OTHER PROBELM AS THE COUNCIL SAY HE CANT SPILL HIS FUMES FROM A BOUNDARY WALL INTO MY GARDEN.

THE BOILER I NEVER KNEW ABOUT UNTIL HE HAD IT FITTEED AND IT WAS TURNED ON TWO DAYS AGO.

JUST FOR THE RECORD I GET ON WITH ALL MY NEIGHBOURS INCLUDING THE ONE NEXT DOOR.

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ADD I AM A EASY GOING PERSON AND I DID HAVE A WOD WITH HIM AND HE BASICALLY TOLD ME TO F--- O---

You have not explained the situation to us clearly at all. Its also odd that a neighbour you get on with well with tells you to "F....O...."

Its surprising that the people next door have apparently just had their gas turned off without being concerned at this cold time of year.

You can complain to Gas safe if you feel the boiler next door is unsafely installed. 0800 408 5500. One assumes its only just been fitted.

You should also complain to your local Environmental Health department.

You must be in good conddition at 50 to have a three week old baby.

Tony

FIRST IT IS MY DAUGHTERS BABY, MY GRANSON.
YES THE BOILER HAS JUST BEEN FITTED.
I DO GET ON WITH HIM BUT HE DONT GET ON WITH ANYONE. NO ONE UP THIS ROAD TALKS TO HIM AND NOW I KNOW WHY. ALL HAVE HAD DEALINGS WITH HIM, BUT I WAS LUCKY I NEVER HAD TO HAVE DEALINGS WITH HIM.
I WAS TOLD IF YOU SAY NO TO HIM HE TURNS AND THATS WHAT HE HAS DONE.
EVEN THE FITTER WHO FITTED HIS BOILER IS HELPING ME FIND THIS PROBLEM.

ALL WE KNOW IS WHEN HIS BOILER WHICH WAS INSTALLED TWO DAYS AGO FIRES UP, MY ALARM GOES OFF ON THE BEDROOM UNDER THE LOFT SPACE WHERE HIS BOILER IS SCREWED TO THE DIVIDING WALL.

WHEN THE GAS MAN CAPPED OFF HIS GAS BECAUSE HE REFUSED TO LET HIM TURN OFF HIS BOILER THE ALARMS NEVER WENT ON.
HE THEN GOT A CORGI MAN TO TAKE THE CAP OUT AND MY ALARMS WENT OFF AGAIN.

THE GAS MAN IS BAFFLED, THE INSTALLER IS BAFFLED, MY INSTALLER IS BAFFLED AND I AM BAFFLED.

THE ONLY ROOM THE ALRAM GOES OFF IS THAT ROOM UNDER HIS BOILER DIVIDING WALL.

AND AS FOR I AM IN GOOD CONDITION, YES I AM THANKS. ALL THAT WINDSURFING AND SEA AIR

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back