Are the fumes from a combi boiler carbon monoxide?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
|Hi can anyone help me - we live in a semi and have new neighbours who have sited a combi boiler under one of their bedroom windows but it also is sited less than four feet away from our boundary wall (approx two and a half feet away). The problem is that we cannot open our young sons bedroom window because his room fills up with the smell of gas. He also gets draught from his window and sometimes you can smell this gas. What I am very concerned about is that this is carbon monoxide that we can smell.
Please can you help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

No it shouldnt be CO but CO2 if the boiler is working correctly and water of course.

Most boilers these days can have plume management kits fitted to them to divert the products say upwards away from your window.
If you get on with your neighbour - politely suggest this to them?

Thank you so much - I was so worried about the gas smell and the affects it could have on my son.

i really appreciate your replies.

Sponsored Links
This situation shouldn't cause you a nuisance, which it obviously does.
There are rules regarding the siting of flues with regard to boundaries, openable windows etc.
The installer should take this into account.
Plume management kits connect to the existing flue terminal position to take the products of combustion away from any nuisance situation.

If you post a picture of your situation that will help.

Andy.

Is it normal to smell gas outside near the flue?

Our neighbours 12 year old Vaillant ecoMAX creates tonnes of plume along with a nasty smell of gas.

Is it normal to smell gas outside near the flue?

Our neighbours 12 year old Vaillant ecoMAX creates tonnes of plume along with a nasty smell of gas.
if you mean natural gas, then no you shouldnt smell any, but in my experience if someone smells anything they are unfamiliar with - it's "gas".

it can be carbon monoxide if the boiler isn't operating correctly so, put a c/o detector in your sons' bedroom

Before the gas ignites, you will get gas smell. Gas at the burner does not 'fire up' immediately- this will smell.

Hi,

No it shouldnt be CO but CO2 if the boiler is working correctly and water of course.

Most boilers these days can have plume management kits fitted to them to divert the products say upwards away from your window.
If you get on with your neighbour - politely suggest this to them?

as said plume management kit is the answer, if your neighbour won't do it voluntarily involve your local EHO / building control who can take action as it is classed as a nuisance.
if fitted in last couple of years it should also havebeen notified to CORGI as complying with regulations they also can act on your behalf against the installer

plume kit should be used when there is less than 2 metres to the boundary and flue is directed that way.

but do try the soft approach first as its better to get on with your neighbours!

If you think you smell gas, then call transco out, any suspected smell MUST be reported to transco (0800 111 999). It is a free service, and more importantly, the safety of life and buildings is paramount! If it is safe, then they will say, if not, they will submit a report to the householder. Then recommend a suitably qualified RGI should attend and carryout any remedial action as required fella...

If you are that concerned call them ASAP!

There was a lad killed a few years ago from a faulty boiler next door pouring co into a covered alleyway directly under his bedroom. It found its way through the floor and poisoned the little lad. Transco, co alarm and a friendly little word with the neighbours.

Does visible appearance of neighbours plume "clouds" floating past my window count as a nuisance?

I don't want to appear condescending here, but, do you think it is a nuisance? After all, it's your house fella. Common sense prevails here, if you get on with the new neighbours then ask him who installed it? As you would like some work doing, or he might not even know if anything is wrong, out of his view from his windows. :cool:

It hasn't ruined my life, but I've lived here 10 years without having to put up with steam clouds floating past. The owner is a developer who has just converted house next door into 4 x tiny flats, which I was against on the grounds of overcrowding and crappy housing, and having other peoples boiler plume interfering with my view does make me feel the presence of the ever compacting population around me. Plus, they made an ugly job of it - flue sticks out 18 inches from wall to clear the guttering about it. The installer talked of putting an upward elbow to take it to above gutter level, but of course he's gone now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back