Flue Options Causing RGI Confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping that somebody on the forum has had this dilemma before and is able to help…

I'd like to replace my ageing C&M Britony for a condensing boiler. Looking at Worcester Greenstar 30Si or a Vaillant Ecotec 832 and it has become evident that there is a flue problem due to proximity to boundary fence. Three different RGI recommendations as below-
  • No.1- Plume management kit (or VTK if you prefer) with 1m vertical extension and 90 elbow at top
  • No.2- Plume management kit with 3m extension with vertical discharge above pitched roof level
  • No.3- Either vertical discharge through first floor and ridge tiles or relocation to rear of house
Relocation is obviously very expensive but is it the best option? Is the vertical option above pitched roof level viable? Are their any other obvious options that should be considered?
Please let me know if you need more info.

Attachments

• Boiler Flue Position- Side.jpg
    Boiler Flue Position- Side.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 199
  • Boiler Flue Position- Front.jpg
    Boiler Flue Position- Front.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 206
  • Boiler Flue Position- Rear.jpg
    Boiler Flue Position- Rear.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 210
Sponsored Links
Worth noting that only the Vaillant VTK allows you to bypass the normal rules (other minimum clearances are still applicable, though more relaxed) for siting the terminal as it's a "variable termination kit" where as with the Worcester it's just a "plume management kit" to avoid nuisance steam. That might make your boiler choice a bit easier.

Good point…thanks. Vaillant it is then!
My head is buzzing after reading so many different MIs and building regs. Is a VTK to the roof viable then?

Apart from the distances from a boundary laid down in Building Regs, your neighbour could complain to Environmental Health that you are causing a "Statutory Nuisance". The recommended distance from the boundary to avoid this is 2.5 metres.

In either case, it's the direction in which the fumes are discharged which is important. So it's better to have a vertical discharge.

Sponsored Links
Apart from the distances from a boundary laid down in Building Regs, your neighbour could complain to Environmental Health that you are causing a "Statutory Nuisance". The recommended distance from the boundary to avoid this is 2.5 metres.

In either case, it's the direction in which the fumes are discharged which is important. So it's better to have a vertical discharge.
+1
Where is your neighbour's house in relation to yours? If you're going to be discharging directly at their house, and they complain to EH, you can be forced to make alterations at your expense. This might mean moving the boiler!

Neighbours house is about 2.5m from the indicated boundary wall.
Thinking I should be able to get a vertical VTK up to the roof then divert slightly to our house with a 45 deg elbow. Do you believe that will that satisfy all requirements?

And bear in mind that your neighbour may have plans to extend their property, in the future, in such a way that your flue discharge could become an infringement of their entitlement, even if it currently does not!

And bear in mind that your neighbour may have plans to extend their property, in the future, in such a way that your flue discharge could become an infringement of their entitlement, even if it currently does not!
I doubt very much if the neighbours could make that stand up in court.

As long as it complied with Building Regs, and was not deemed a Statutory Nuisance, when installed, that's the end of the matter. It's the same if BRs change.

If something complied with BRs when it was installed/built, then there is no need to alter it if BRs change. So BRs can't make anyone remove a non-condensing boiler and replace it with a condensing. But Regulations can say that when a boiler needs to be replace it must be replaced by a condensing boiler.

(y) Good luck. I'm sure, judging by the effort with the Sketchup models, you're the sort of chap who'd rather have no dispute whatsoever, with the neighbours :D

You're right. Lived here for 19 years and the neighbours are great. Planning to move in 18 months though so don't want any queries from surveyor on compliance.
I'm actually a combined cycle gas turbine power station engineer with senior authorised person experience, so I am technical…but not Gas Safe authorised :D You can climb inside our combustion chambers!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back