Flue help for Vaillant combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am looking for a little guidance on flue arrangements.

I have a Vaillant ecoTEC plus 837 boiler, and due to an extension build this will need to be relocated. Ideally I would like the boiler positioned as shown in the plans below. (I realise it would be much simpler to have it placed on the external wall near the sink, but wish to avoid this if possible for various reasons.) As I'm now at the roofing stage, if I need to put any flue flashing tiles in I would like to do that now rather than retrofit them later.

To this end I have a few questions:

A) Can the various Vaillant flue sections and bends be located external to the building?
B) Can a vertical flue be attached to other flue sections - ie not directly connected to the boiler?
C) Can plume management kits be attached to a vertical flue?

I am struggling to see how the flue would work and comply with the various regulations concerning distance from openings etc, and still look reasonably neat & tidy. If anyone can offer any solutions, they would be very gratefully received! :)

Cheers,
MonkeyHunter.

Sponsored Links
I think you should look.at having the boiler moved. You cant have flue pipes external. All flue joints need to be accessable for inspection. And terminal needs to be 500 mm from wall. Get a qualified installer to look at it. I would have you boiler moved into the main loft.

Monkey, perhaps you dont realise that moving boilers and fitting flues should be done by a gas registered engineer?

They can advise you on what is possible and what is not ( most of the things you seem to want to do! ) and p[erhaps suggest other possibilities.

Tony

sloppytom - Thanks, I don't want to get the boiler moved to the loft - if there is no way of having it located as shown on the plans I will get it put by the window in the kitchen. Also thanks for letting me know the bends etc cannot be external, I assumed that was the case but the manual does not explicitly say that - out of curiosity why is this, as obviously the POC can be extended externally with a diverter kit, and as the inlet side of the flue is not air tight, I don't see why it would be a problem. Also I am aware that the joints will all need to be accessible for inspection.

Tony, Thanks for the input, I am well aware that the boiler needs to be moved by a gas safe engineer, but I am going to be roofing the extension this weekend - weather permitting, and I want to put the flue slate in. If I cant have the boiler where it is shown in the plans, then I don't want to have installed a hole in the fabric of my (sarked) roof for no reason. And having looked at the boiler installation manual, I am struggling to see how the flue could be arranged as shown on the plans, the ceiling is vaulted, so 600 / 500 for a vertical flue penetration does not seem achievable.

Again, just to clarify. I am not going to be touching the boiler - I want to understand how/if it can be flued from the location it is marked on my plans and meet the regs. It's a mid terraced house so I cant go out the side wall. I don't have the time to get anyone in to look at this before the weekend, and the boiler wont need moving for some time.

Sponsored Links
Can't beat a bit of forward planning eh? ;)

Looking at your plans, you won't meet the clearance rules on several fronts the way you want to have it.

where does the flue terminate at the moment then ?

I got the boiler put in the old outside toilet, to keep it out of the dust etc while I was renovating the house. However, the toilet will need to be demolished shortly as it is immediately in front of the new kitchen window. Currently the flue exits the back of the toilet.

Can't beat a bit of forward planning eh? ;)

Looking at your plans, you won't meet the clearance rules on several fronts the way you want to have it.

Yea, well I had assumed that what was marked on the plans would be achievable, after all that's why you pay people to produce plans and get them through building control right?....

It was only now the builders have finished the blockwork, and I am due to put the roof on, that I was looking at the details again for the roof. Whilst planning the soffit depth and the placement of the velux's so they correspond with full tiles etc, I started trying to work out exactly where the flue would exit the roof, for the flue flashing, only to realise that It seems unlikely to be doable, and hence my questions here.

So, can anyone think of a way the boiler can be located where indicated? I don't really care how or where the flue gets routed, as long as it comply's and does not look ridiculous - ie supported in the void of the vaulted ceiling.

I was thinking that if you could fit a plume management kit to the vertical flue, and if that can be attached to the end of a horizontal flue, it would be possible to come out of the roof vertically where indicated, and then divert the plume up over the eves of the house.

It is often overlooked that its sometimes possible to use a longer flue in the roof space and exit a gable end.

Has to be accessable of course for inspections!

Tony

It is often overlooked that its sometimes possible to use a longer flue in the roof space and exit a gable end.

Has to be accessable of course for inspections!

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I had thought of that, unfortunately on the gable side where the Boiler is shown in the plans my neighbour has outbuildings attached to the party wall. and on the other side, which would be technically possible (with a couple of inspection hatches) my neighbours are considering doing a similar extension to me and enclosing on my wall, and even if they were not, I built astride the boundary, so the flue would protrude over their land.

Looks like I am going to have to have it placed next to the kitchen window then, which is less than ideal for us :/

Thanks Tom, I did see that option, but the roof has a very low pitch, and Veluxs.

Can anyone tell me if the 3 degree slope is a max? I couldn't come out of the roof on say a 45 deg bend?

I see that the people that make the roof flashing that vaillant recommend, do a 'Box' That allows flues to be installed externally. I assume something like that would require the nod from vaillant to be acceptable?

if there was a suggestion that would make you proposed boiler location feasible, someone would have suggested it already. The boiler needs moving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back