When is best to powerflush in prep for a new system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to replace a very old open vented system (35 years old) in the near future as part of substantial rennovations. The boiler is also 35+ years old.

Some rads I will want to keep, especially the curved ones under my bay windows. I will of course be adding new ones. I am going for a system boiler and water tank set-up.

What is the best way to clean the existing system as much as possible before installing the new boiler. I do not want to stir up the sludge, before installing a new boiler. I have read that is a common outcome when powerflushing.

Is it a good idea to remove the rads and clean them jet wash/hose pipe style? Then powerflush to clean the pipes, or vice versa? Can this be done before the new boiler is installed?

Sponsored Links
A correctly-done powerflush won't stir up sludge, it will remove it. It should ideally be carried out with the old boiler still connected if it is working, so that the boiler can provide heat to activate the chemicals used

Is it beneficial to also remove radiators and clean them independently with a jet wash/hose pipe or something?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back