When would you use treated timber for studwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Experts,

How worried would you need to be about moisture to use treated CLS timber for studwork?

I'm constructing replacement studwork for an internal wall and the lining of an external wall. It's all off a modern concrete slab which has plastic DPC under it, though the external wall is ancient and doesn't - but is very thick and shows no sign of damp anywhere. The old studwork that I took down seems to be a mixture of materials some of which may be treated. I was assuming that I would not need treated timber, but now I'm hesitating!

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
You probably don't need treated but for the price difference you might as well bung it in. Only downside is you can't chuck the scraps in the woodburner.

If it could potentially get damp, and/or would be difficult to replace if it needed to be, then treated timber should be used. Or if you are in the home counties or thereabouts.

Sponsored Links
If it is outside the heated area then use treated. If it's entirely inside, no need.

In the end I didn't need to make a decision as the untreated was out of stock; I got treated for the untreated price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back