Where are the experts who have helped in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating system is just over 30 years old and was installed when the house was built. From day one we have always had air building up in one of the radiators on the hot water cylinder convection part of the boiler system, there are two radiators on this circuit but always the same one collected air. The builders plumber returned a number of times but only checked that the air was not a flammable gas and put inhibitor into the CH header tank, and then refused to answer any further calls. So we have just lived with the fact that I had to bleed the radiator every month or so.

The system has been drained down a number of times over the years to repair leaks, change radiators and move the boiler to a new position.

Recently we changed the radiator that collected air from one which was 1800mm wide x 600mm high to a modern upright model which is 600mm wide and 1600mm high, and since then no air has collected in the new or the other radiator on the circuit.

What happens now is that water is being fed into the CH header tank, through the overflow pipe, which then overflows. I think this is because the top of the new radiator is higher than the top of the hot water cylinder and so the old problem of air in the system is still with me but is now in the feed to the cylinder coil. The cylinder was replaced about 5/8 years ago after advice from DIYnot.

Is there some automatic way of removing the air?

There is no problem with the ball valve and the overflow pipe is not below the water level in the tank.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/ch-header-tank-overflowing.447216/#ixzz3tpbu2r6O

Sponsored Links
You say that a new rad has been fitted. Did you check for any muck in the FE tank before you then filled the system/rad and have you added new inhibitor? Go look at this small tank is the water / tank clean. Also, have a look at FQA 12, this shows how you could clear a blockage if you think you have one. You can get Autovents to replace bleed points in the rad and pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back