Where Can I Buy A Combined Stop Tap & Drain Off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace my main stop tap, its the type with a built in drain down cock. Are they still available as one unit, and where from?

I realise that they are available as seperate units, but it would be a much more straight forward job to replace like for like. Also, I don't own a gas torch.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I need to replace my main stop tap, its the type with a built in drain down cock. Are they still available as one unit, and where from?
My advice would be not to bother with the drain off cock - just buy a good quality, but otherwise ordinary, stop tap.

I realise that they are available as seperate units, but it would be a much more straight forward job to replace like for like. Also, I don't own a gas torch.
Even if you found one, there's no guarantee that you wouldn't have to modify the pipework. If you don't have a torch then use a compression coupling to extend the existing pipework. Go carefully with the olive crimping because old mains pipework can be very thin and weak, and thereby prone to folding and cracking.

Sponsored Links
I will come back to you. Its in the book somwhere.

Duble checked this on recent total refurb. had to put drain off after stop cock

Softus

gremlin16 wrote:
Drain off is required under water regs

I did not know that.

Do you know which regulation, or page of the guide book, documents that requirement?

WRAS Second edition

Page 4.15
Water system design & installation

Reommendations for drain taps

Softus

gremlin16 wrote:
Drain off is required under water regs

I did not know that.

Do you know which regulation, or page of the guide book, documents that requirement?
WRAS Second edition

Page 4.15
Water system design & installation

Reommendations for drain taps
My interpretation is different to yours.

The requirement (in the Regulations) is to "minimise the discharge of water", i.e. to reduce wastage, by using "an adequate number of servicing valves and drain taps...".

You could argue that it's good practise to install a drain off just above the main stop cock, but my view is that it's an unnecessary expense, and an unnecessary fitting/component that could go wrong - unnecessary because you can always drain to the height of the kitchen tap (into a kettle, for later use), and even lower if there's an outside tap, so waste is minimised.

If you think that's the requirement then it could be argued that you could save the pipeful of water by draining it from a drain tap rather than spilling it from a joint! :rolleyes:
If I were doing a total refurb I'd insist on a screw down stop tap ( lever ones are NOT ok there) then a double check valve then a drain cock. The DCV is not clearly specified in the regs, but if you follow the logic they are demanding one.

If you think that's the requirement then it could be argued that you could save the pipeful of water by draining it from a drain tap rather than spilling it from a joint! :rolleyes:
Not quite sure what you mean by "If you think that's the requirement", Chris.

Do you think the requirement is different? :confused:

Also, although a BS2879:1980 valve is recommended is the DETR guidance, I don't anything wrong with a good quality full bore lever valve as the main stop tap, bearing in mind that any undertaker's new service valve is likely to be a spherical valve.

Softus

If your worried about the small cost of drain off then you do it your way.

I will still be using them at lowest point and just above a stopcock.
Think is termed "best practice"

Or by omitting recommended fittings you are undercutting other installers quotes. :confused: :confused:

One of our installers managed to get a defects notice from S & T for fitting the drain off in the wrong place. Rather than stop tap, drain off water meter he went stop tap, meter, drain off..

Not easy to fix when the kitchens in place.

So as far as our authority see it its a must.

If your worried about the small cost of drain off then you do it your way.
I don't know what gave you the impression that anyone is "worried", but I'm not doing it - woodbine is.

I will still be using them at lowest point and just above a stopcock.
Think is termed "best practice"
Nobody was attempting to persuade you to do anything different, so by all means do whatever you like.

Or by omitting recommended fittings you are undercutting other installers quotes. :confused: :confused:
I don't do quotes, so that's really a very unlikely scenario that you've invented.

You seem to have misunderstood the point of the forum. Do you have any offer advice to offer directly to the OP?

Do you have any offer advice to offer directly to the OP?

1 Be concerned when theres difference in advice given by OP

2 Check what WRAS recommend

3 And remember if you cock it up its you that will be held responsible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back